Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Starting All Grain - Coolers or Kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i agree w/ all and can say they both make great brews. i was using the rubbermaid cooler set-up w/ great success. i just had the bug to get a cool all stainless keg system. plus, if i want to do traditional german style brews, it's easier to do a full decoction mash with a keg for a mash/lauter tun. can add direct heat and just recirculate the wort to prevent scorching. a guy in my HBC does all the welding and gets all the valves and fittings. no mark up, just cost for parts. didn't pay a dime for kegs or getting the tops cut out (another guy in my HBC has a plasma cutter). i spent a total of $375 for my system. my new system has a mash tun blanket that wraps around it and has quick ties so i can lace it up like a shoe. holds the temp fine for 60 minutes.
but, money and resources are the main factors of what type of sytem you go with. if i didn't have the HBC, i'd still be using my cooler set up, and still be happy with it!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply