Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Standard IPA / IIPA grain bill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
Well,

I was just looking for a basic recipe that I could try out different hops and different hop schedules. I think this does it.

1 last question. For an IIPA, would I simply up the 2 row, or should I add additional specialty grains as well.
Keep your proportions similar, IMO. Watch the SRM and make sure you're not lightening too much by changing the ratio. I've played around with sugar and adjuncts but am not fond of the dryness/hot alcohol it can produce. Keep it at a minimum if at all. Consider extract if you find yourself needing a boost. Can be added late in the boil to adjust gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #32
ShackNasty
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't forget there is nothing wrong with trying what sounds good to you regardless of its typicality. I mean, there are certain things that should be followed like using a base malt for conversion of sugars, but hey.... Throw some s**t together in a pot, add some hops (maybe some herbs).... Pitch your yeast and see what happens. It might just taste good!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #33
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackNasty View Post
Don't forget there is nothing wrong with trying what sounds good to you regardless of its typicality. I mean, there are certain things that should be followed like using a base malt for conversion of sugars, but hey.... Throw some s**t together in a pot, add some hops (maybe some herbs).... Pitch your yeast and see what happens. It might just taste good!
That's why I wasn't too specific in my recommendations. I use whatever I have on hand. I like Pale Ale malt, but sometimes I only have 2-row. Sometimes I have both but don't want a darker IPA/PA with the PA malt being 3L. Essentially any base malt should make a nice PA/IPA as they're generally dry and the hops take the front-seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #34
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626

Most of the time, sure. But if you're messing around with a SMaSH then it's not really that important - at least to me. What matters to me is a good balance of malt, hops, and abv. I'm not entering this in a contest - it's an educational thing more than anything else - bonus is that it will taste delicious.

Plus, having a hop-forward ale to consume in larger quantities without getting bombed isn't necessarily a bad thing.
And just took a reading and sample. It's effin delish!!!

Fermented a little more than expected so my "hot dog ale" is actually around 5.25%. Gonna dry hop early and rush this one it's so good. Another win for the paulster and his pearl malt.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #35
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
And just took a reading and sample. It's effin delish!!!

Fermented a little more than expected so my "hot dog ale" is actually around 5.25%. Gonna dry hop early and rush this one it's so good. Another win for the paulster and his pearl malt.
And finally, bottled it last night after a good 5-day cold crash.

Filled up a couple 2L and carbed 'em with a carb cap, and man oh man, it's good. I could sell this. Great hop aroma, quite a lot of initial bitterness which subsides with further sips, and very smooth and satisfying. If someone was looking for an example of an American IPA, this is what I'd give them. It'll be interesting to see the difference in taste compared to the bottle-conditioned ones in a few weeks.

Glad I didn't stick with the de-facto BJCP guidelines! Moral of the story: NEVER be afraid to do your own thing, even when it's just a simple SMaSH!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 124

My IPA's are heavy on late (hop) additions and dry hopping. My goal is to always focus on big aroma and flavor. I support this with balanced bitterness and malt character. I shoot for a terminal gravity of 1.012 - 1.015.

I am also a big fan of Pale Malt. I find it gives a good degree of sweetness while remaining clean. I also rely heavily on Munich (10L). I round my grist out with a small amount of medium crystal and wheat or flaked oats.

Usually goes something like this:

70% Pale Malt
20% Munich 10L
5% Caramunich (60L)
5% wheat or flaked oats.

I recently scored an overall score of 44 with my most recent IPA and it used 28% Munich.

Quick Reply