Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stainless Braided hose issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
BubbaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stainless Braided hose issue

I did my first mini mash last night and it went well I think with the exception of draining the tun. I used a 3 gal water jug and mashed with 3.5lbs of grain and 1.25 gal water. When I went to drain, the stainless braided hose kept clogging up to where nothing was coming out. I had to keep a spoon inside and constantly scrape the hose to get it to drain. After I got it to drain, I sparged with 2 gal of water and ran into the same issue. I spent about 1/2 hr with it, then finally decided to get a paint strainer and just dump the whole thing into that to drain. Not the best sparge method I'm sure, but it got done. My target OG was 1.054, and I ended up 1.062, so I did pretty good I think.

What type of stainless braid are people using and any mods to it to make it drain faster? Mine is ~3/8" id.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I posted a very similar question last week, and one reply advised to use the larger diameter braided hoses that are used to connect water heaters. I went to the local Home Depot and found the water heater section. Right next to the heaters were herky braided supply lines. I've reconfigured my TUN with this larger braided line. I"ve done one brew since, a partial mash, and the TUN worked well. I need to test it with a serous All Grain but it sure looks like it will improve the flow. Another suggestion is to open the valve slowly and let the grain bed settle gently, then increase the through put. Good Luck.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Make sure the braid you have is actually SS, there are alot of ones out there that look like they are stainless but are instead some sort of silver plastic. Those get soft at mash temps and don't work.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Also, draining will be faster in most cases if you have a hose of decent length on the outlet side so you get a siphon effect.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
BubbaK
Recipes 

Thanks... Mine is definitely stainless. I'll pick up a bigger hose and give it a shot. I am currently working through a 1/4" valve so there isn't much flow as it is. I don't think opening it any slower would have helped. I'll look for a looser braided hose and give that a shot.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used braid off a sink connection line. I am not sure the diameter but I have never had any issues.

JMW

"I know drinking kills brain cells--but only the weak ones "

"Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain. Quantist thoughts – queerest fancies, Come to life and fade away: What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today." – Edgar Allan Poe

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The SS hose I used was for a car gas line. The diameter is about 1/8" thicker than the hose that came with my turn and its stronger. The weaving on the car/gas line is tighter than the sink hose. At first I thought it wouldn’t work well since the mesh is so compact but it works perfectly. You can smash it bend it twist it and it pops back into the original shape.

Amazon.com: Spectre 29204 Stainless-Steel Flex Fuel Line - 4-Feet Long: Automotive

shat happens

Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I use a toilet supply line, 1/2" IIRC. Start your runoff with the valve just cracked open, then once the grain bed is established you can open it up. See dennybrew for details

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
BubbaK
Recipes 

Thanks for the info... Nice website Denny..

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not to sound like an ass...but you did remove the rubber hose inside the SS braid, yes? cut both ends off, and pushed (not pulled) the inside hose out?

the braid is such a coarse weave I can't imagine them getting clogged unless the grain bill was prone to being sticky (lotta wheat, flaked wheat, etc...where rice hulls become handy)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply