Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > St. Patty's Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
OatStraw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim27 View Post
Looks like it will be tasty. I think some of the more experienced brewers may tell you to cut back on the flaked barley.
Can anyone comment a little more on why the flaked barley should be cut back, and what I should replace the grain % with? I'm having trouble finding a resource on this.

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Tim27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Well as I have learned it flaked barley is used to aid in head retention and percieved mouthfeel of the beer. Most recipes I have seen seem to haver around 10% flaked of the total grain bill. So to get the desired effect from the flaked barley a pound maybe a pound and a half should be plenty. Then just increase your Marris Otter to make up the difference. Otherwise just go with what you got and see how it turns out. Still will be good beer.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
OatStraw
Recipes 

Thanks Tim! So I can adjust the Flaked down to about 1.5# and up the Marris to 9.5-10#. This should increase the OG gravity, because it's my undertanding the flaked barley doesn't add much in terms of sugars.

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Tim27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 63

That's how I understand it. If you are using a brewing calculator you can just play around until your numbers look right.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Thanks, I think I am going to brew this up tomorrow for St. Patty's day. Seems like every year I am forgetting about this all-important drinking holiday. Hopefully a month will be enough time to get it brewed, kegged, and carbed!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
OatStraw
Recipes 

Well looks like you will be brewing it before me then. I've had something come up and am leaving town tonight, and haven't had a chance to go to my LHBS to get the ingredients. Hopefully I will have enough time to drive the 1.5 hours to the LHBS and brew on Sunday.

Kegged:

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
OatStraw
Recipes 

Will I need a blow off tube for this?

Kegged:

Quick Reply