New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Squeezing a biab bag with an apple press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Foosier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default bag in the bucket is all that is needed

+1 to not going to any extra effort to squeeze. It really won't make a huge difference. Certainly not enough to b worth the effort.

I just sit mine in a bucket and let it keep draining there. Dump what comes out back into the boil. np... Easypeasy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
captainL
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I wouldn't want to infect an apple press with lacto and all the other bugs on the grain. If you do, make sure you clean and sanitize well before using it for something else. And yes it is ok to squeeze the bag

Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 135 Posts

As the OP, I would like to move away from whether it is ok to squeeze a bag or not. There are plenty of other threads to debate that. After 6 years of brewing, I am comfortable squeezing the bag. With that, maybe I need to do a couple identical brews and really focus on the effeciency difference in squeezing and dripping. I double batch sparge so considering that, maybe whatever is left after dripping is insignificant.

Captain, I think you bring up a good point about the risk of infection of a press as you can't clean it the same way you can a brew pot.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 47

>>With that, maybe I need to do a couple identical brews and really focus on the effeciency difference in squeezing and dripping.

I wouldnt even bother. Squeezing gets you a maybe a couple more points of sugar. I do it because the bag is in front of me after its dripped, and I have gloves, so I might as well squeeze. But there is not going to be too big a difference.

I'd like to point out that soaking the dripped bag (i.e. sparging it) in a pot of hot water, then redrip drying it (and maybe squeezing too ) can get you additional sugar. This will be more noticeable (i.e. worthwhile) for higher gravity beers). I think you will get several points more sugar this way, than putting that water in your original mash.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
As the OP, I would like to move away from whether it is ok to squeeze a bag or not. There are plenty of other threads to debate that. After 6 years of brewing, I am comfortable squeezing the bag. With that,
Skillful thread steering there! If only more people would drive their threads through the traffic cones like this!

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Quick Reply