Spring water sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the assistance. To try and prevent any drama with my first AG I am going to use store bought spring water since I am not sure of my towns water profile. I think Poland Springs in this case. It is going to be a stout.

Can I top off with the water directly, if need be? Any need to boil it first?

Many thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for the assistance. To try and prevent any drama with my first AG I am going to use store bought spring water since I am not sure of my towns water profile. I think Poland Springs in this case. It is going to be a stout.

Can I top off with the water directly, if need be? Any need to boil it first?

Many thanks!

You won't be topoing off AG brews.

Try and hit your SG and OG for your all grain batch instead of trying to hit volumes.

Many thanks all!! I do appreciate it.

Good to know. With future extract brews this info will definately pay off.

All the Best.

The deal with mashing is you use more water to extract all the sugars from the grain. So you end up with a large volume of wort at a low SG that you have boil down to achieve the desired concentration. Ergo, no need to top off. I frequently have to delay hop addition because it will take more than an hour to get to my desired concentration.

Latest posts

Back