Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Splitting 5 gallon batch into 5 1 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
OofC_Zer0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Splitting 5 gallon batch into 5 1 gallon batches

So I have a very basic grain bill for an IPA:
12.5# 2Row (US)
1# Crystal 60l
.75# Carapils

And what i want to do, is to do a regular size mash, and then split the wort into 5 batches and do 5 different boils. My plan is to do 5 different single hop IPAs and try and really get a feel for what each hop attributes at different boil times and dry hops. Anyways beersmith tells me that to do a 60 minute boil and to wind up with 1 gallon I need to start with 3.21 gallons. Im not sure if this is going to work or not. Should i try and do what beersmith says, and just run some extra sparge water through the mash tun, to get 15 gallons? Or make beersmith think that its a 5 gallon batch and just say that it needs 8 gallons preboil and then split that into 5? Trying to brew either tonight or tomorrow. Have my starter on the stir plate. Any advice tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4916 Times on 3565 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by OofC_Zer0 View Post
So I have a very basic grain bill for an IPA:
12.5# 2Row (US)
1# Crystal 60l
.75# Carapils

And what i want to do, is to do a regular size mash, and then split the wort into 5 batches and do 5 different boils. My plan is to do 5 different single hop IPAs and try and really get a feel for what each hop attributes at different boil times and dry hops. Anyways beersmith tells me that to do a 60 minute boil and to wind up with 1 gallon I need to start with 3.21 gallons. Im not sure if this is going to work or not. Should i try and do what beersmith says, and just run some extra sparge water through the mash tun, to get 15 gallons? Or make beersmith think that its a 5 gallon batch and just say that it needs 8 gallons preboil and then split that into 5? Trying to brew either tonight or tomorrow. Have my starter on the stir plate. Any advice tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
I would try boiling some water in your planned pot first, and see what your boil off is. I would expect a boil off of about 1.25 gallons per hour in most cases.

Once you boil your water and see how much boils off in an hour, then you can know what your preboil volume needs to be.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
OofC_Zer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I would try boiling some water in your planned pot first, and see what your boil off is. I would expect a boil off of about 1.25 gallons per hour in most cases.

Once you boil your water and see how much boils off in an hour, then you can know what your preboil volume needs to be.
I shall try that here shortly, But lets just say i boil off 1.25 gallons in the hour, so i would need 2.25 * 5 = 11.25 gallons. Should i be able to successfully sparge that much without having any adverse effect?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
OofC_Zer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

bump

Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OofC_Zer0 View Post
I shall try that here shortly, But lets just say i boil off 1.25 gallons in the hour, so i would need 2.25 * 5 = 11.25 gallons. Should i be able to successfully sparge that much without having any adverse effect?
Ideally, you'd put no more than 3 quarts of water per pound of grain through your grainbed, but I have successfully done 3.5 quarts/pound total. That should give you a little wiggle room!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
OofC_Zer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Up at 5 this morning, finished the 5th batch at 1:30 this afternoon. Quite a hectic morning. Aside from over boiling the first one, I would say that everything else went as smooth as possible. Still haven't gotten the energy to clean up from it all! :-/

image-1624589620.jpg  

Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

GREAT picture! That's awesome.

I'm so much lazier than you that I never even considered 1 gallon batches except for wine! Good job. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've been considering breaking up a five gallon batch like that as well, I really like your single hop IPA idea. My idea was to make a five gallon batch and spilt it up post boil, with the variables in the fermenter such as dry hopping or cold steeping grains or coffee and seeing how they changed compared to a non adjusted batch. My fiances sister got me an awesome book that has tons of recipes for one gallon batches, many of them very unusual and interesting. Its called The Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book: 52 seasonal recipes for Small Batches. Thought you might like that since you are experimenting with one gallon batches also. Cheers and good luck with your experiment!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
OofC_Zer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This was also my first attempt at using a yeast starter from harvested yeast. Turned out well. All of them are bubbling away like crazy. I used Mr. Malty's Calculator, but went a little higher on the concentration just to make sure that it would work (i was a little nervous). Made a 2L starter and split it into 5 400mL batches and then pitched. I will keep posted on how everything turns out. And i will definitely check out that book. Seem to be right up my ally!
Cheers

Sheldon

Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With the same base wort, it suprises me that the beers have such a range of colors to them. Is this actually the case? Or is the lighting playing tricks on me? Or maybe hops have a Lovibond rating I wasn't aware of? With all those trub layers, I imagine you pitched a fair amount of time before this pic?

Quick Reply