Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Split Mash Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
baldilocks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Split Mash Question

First off, want to thank everyone for all their help. Even though I never asked, I have learned much from this forum.

I have a question regarding a split mash. If my mash tun is too small for a larger beer, can the mash be split into two mashes? I understand the importance of the need of base malt with some specialty malts, but I am assuming two mashes for one beer is ok.

Assuming it is ok, would there be any benefit of different mash temps to achieve the characteristics of each temperature? Could I mash one at a lower temperature for more fermentables and mash one higher to achieve more body? For example, if I mash one at 150F and one at 154F, is there any noticeable difference than mashing both at 152F? My intent was to do a mash of only 2 row at a lower temperature and do a mash of specialty and 2 row at a higher temperature.

Please tell me I'm not crazy!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
phidelt844
Recipes 

Two mashes would be fine, except it's going to add an extra couple hours to your brew day between a 60 min mash and 2 potential sparges (assuming you're batch sparging). Regarding your second question, I really have no idea! However, to stay consistent and be able to replicate a recipe in the future, especially if you eventually get a larger MLT, I would personally try to hit equal temps on both mashes. Good luck and let us know how it works!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
baldilocks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidelt844 View Post
Two mashes would be fine, except it's going to add an extra couple hours to your brew day between a 60 min mash and 2 potential sparges (assuming you're batch sparging). Regarding your second question, I really have no idea! However, to stay consistent and be able to replicate a recipe in the future, especially if you eventually get a larger MLT, I would personally try to hit equal temps on both mashes. Good luck and let us know how it works!
That definitely makes sense. I could possible get all the grain in one mash, but trying to make 5 gallons of barleywine in a 10 gallon Igloo will be close. Maybe I need to convince myself I don't need 5 gallons of barleywine.....

Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
dspagnol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used a similar method in my last 3 batches because I wouldn't like spend money buying a bigger igloo.

So, first I mix all non-specialty grains and split them into my 18 liters igloo (79% of the grains at 147 F) and a 5 liters kettle (21% of the grains at 160 F). Also, before raising the kettle-mash temperature to 160 F, I do the protein rest for 20 minutes to create alpha-amylase. (for details: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html)

As far as I understand, the alpha-amylase (160 F) depends on the protein rest but not on the beta-amylase (147 F), so the alpha and beta could be done in parallel.

The final result:

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert to tell the what exactly tastes differently, but I realized these last 3 batches became more malty and a little bit less alcoholic.

Quick Reply