HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Split mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
sdbrew1024
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Split mash?

I am planning a 10 gal batch of Maibock/helles bock around 1.075 or so. My problem is I have a 10gal cooler and i won't be able to fit all my grain and water in my mash tun. Would there be a problem if i split my mash 75% in the mash tun and 25% in a pot on the stove or is this a bad idea for some reason?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
trufleshufle13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the only problem i would see is running back and forth. if you are going to do it at separate times, might as well just to 50 50 in the mash tun.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
bryanjints
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did this exact same thing yesterday. My mash tun is a 5 gallon cooler and while the math says it is good for 12lbs of grain I don't normally like to put that many lbs in there. I had a recipe that was for 14lbs of grain. I mashed 10lbs in the MLT and 4 in the pot on the stove. After draining off the first runnings of the MLT I dumped the mash from the pot into the MLT. There was more water in the pot than I prolly needed but that was my intention. I then mixed everything well and let it sit for 10 minutes. Drained again. I do batch sparging and batch sparged twice. I know this may seem like it is over sparging but I didn't get as much sparge water in the MLT as I normally would. When it was all said and done I hit 84% efficiency and had a nice looking wort. Of course it has yet to bubble from the airlock 24 hours later but I am not too worried about that. I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time but it worked this once. Frankly next time I will just add some DME to get me where I need to be.

Olde Brick House Brewery....I live in a brick house built in 1782.

Beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy.

www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com

Quick Reply