Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Spiced brew question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
jpuf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spiced brew question

Hi Folks,
I'm going to take a shot at a spiced holiday brew tomorrow. The recipe includes fresh ginger root, lemon peel and cinnnamon sticks. Question: Should I boil these ingredients for the entire hour? Should I add them after I chill? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what effect boiling would have on these unfamiliar (to me) ingredients. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jpuf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The answer is yes and no.

It really depends on how powerful or low key you want the flavor to be.

Another factor is when would you like to drink it? If you are planning for this Turkey Day or Christmas then I would have to tell you that you are starting too late...others may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Spiced beers require months to mellow out, especially if cinnamon, ginger, or allspice is used.

You could try to "fool" the tongue a bit by using only a quarter of the spices and adding them at the end of the boil if you intend to drink this for this years holidays. The same harshness will be there, just much more subtle.

Plan ahead for next years brews. I always give myself a minimum of 3 months, 6 months would be better.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I have to agree. If you want a good spiced ale for the holidays, you really need to do it in the summer. The one I have on tap was made in Sept. 2005.

But, add everything except the lemon peel to the beginning of the boil and the lemon peel at 5 minutes. If the OG is under 1.60 and you get a fast ferment, you might have something for New Year's.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Rookie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuf
Hi Folks,
I'm going to take a shot at a spiced holiday brew tomorrow. The recipe includes fresh ginger root, lemon peel and cinnnamon sticks. Question: Should I boil these ingredients for the entire hour? Should I add them after I chill? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what effect boiling would have on these unfamiliar (to me) ingredients. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jpuf

I make a rosemary lemon ale every year or so. I put the lemon zest and the rosemary in to steep for 15 after the boil.
I haven't used the other two so can't comment on them.

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Quick Reply