Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Spent grain would it be good for horses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

From what it sounds like, it might be a safe idea. I have horses yet don't feed them my spent grains. Horses can have fickle stomachs and I figure it's not worth the risk. However, we have made them horse treats out of bran and grain which turned out great with no after effects. They'll devour it. Just be smart about it.

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
interesting. do you compost first? do the residual sugars attract pests?
No I don't, I'm too lazy for that, I use a strainer spoon and just spread them out over the yard, they usually dry out fast in the summer and get worked in next time I mow, In winter they are gone after the first good rain/snow.

They loosen the soil and decompose to fertilizer.. The grass was in fact greener where the grains went.

Never had pest issues, when you spread them try to spread like fertilizer not clumps

Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These spent grain threads always seem to interest me. I have never had horses. I can't imagine that feeding them spent grains would hurt a bit. However once again I don't know.
I do know they act like fuel for the compost heap. I recently tilled in all the summers compost (grass clippings, some leaves, & spent grains) to my garden soil. Mixed in with the manure I added last year the soil looks very black and rich (pretty impressive considering the sandy soil we have in FL). I will let you guys how that goes with my tomatoes this summer.
I really like the idea of using them as fertilizer for the yard. Next time I will put them in the spreader and see how that goes.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Brewer's grain is a common ingredient in many animal feeds. It should be higher in fiber and sugar than regular grain so should be good when mixed with their regular feed to sweeten it some. The biggest caution is to make sure it doesn't start to spoil before you feed the horses. Wet, spent grain will spoil rapidly, like over night, so you either need to dry it quickly or feed immediately.
I wouldn't recommend feeding a large quantity to one animal all at once but in moderation there is nothing in the unspoiled grain that should be a problem.

Craig

Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Doc Thirst
Recipes 

Does anyone have a thought on drying?

I'd love to spread mine out on the lawn, but wet grain doesn't work well in a spreader, and hand dispensing almost 20lb of wet grain by hand doesn't sound feasible either.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #16
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

my wife is in vet school and they dont recommend giving them to horses but they are alright for pigs and cows However if you mix them with carrots and beets it is the best Deer Bait ever.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #17
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I'd love to spread mine out on the lawn, but wet grain doesn't work well in a spreader, and hand dispensing almost 20lb of wet grain by hand doesn't sound feasible either.
My batches average 8-12# of grain, I usually start right after I start the boil and am finished with Mashtun cleaned and put away in 15 min.. Once I got my technique down it takes under 10 min to spread 12#

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #18
Doc Thirst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbo
My batches average 8-12# of grain, I usually start right after I start the boil and am finished with Mashtun cleaned and put away in 15 min.. Once I got my technique down it takes under 10 min to spread 12#

Well do tell, whats your tech? Do you just scoop it out and shake it out? Do you use a spreader?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
rfidd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that the livestock would probably eat it, but they won't be getting much nutritional value from it cause you are extracting the carbohydrates, (the calories) from it.

Maybe you could market a low carbohydrate, high fiber livestock food for the obese American pets?

Rick

Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfidd
I would think that the livestock would probably eat it, but they won't be getting much nutritional value from it cause you are extracting the carbohydrates, (the calories) from it.

Maybe you could market a low carbohydrate, high fiber livestock food for the obese American pets?

Rick
Like I said. Coors processes it for cattle feed. There must be something left in it that is nutritional. If you were a cow wouldn't you like to eat spent grain from Coors lite?

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply