Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Which specialty grains or adjuncts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Which specialty grains or adjuncts

would you rank highest for having qualities/attributes most notable when 1lb or less is used?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to guess you'll get the obvious answers of all the very dark malts, smoked malt, roasted barley, etc.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 825

It depends on the recipe. For a light american lager, 1# of flaked maize will be noticeable, but not the least bit noticeable in a robust porter. A pound of victory malt will be noticed in an English bitter, but not in a stout.

There is no "right" answer for your question because of the many different beer styles. Some robust styles will cover subtleties, while light styles will show every grain in them.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What about biscuit? What does biscuit bring to the table? I see that one pop up almost as often as maize

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
What about biscuit? What does biscuit bring to the table? I see that one pop up almost as often as maize
"will provide a warm bread (or biscuit) flavor and aroma, and will add a garnet-brown color. Since this malt has no enzymes, it must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power. The maximum amount used in a grain bill should be 5-15% of the total."

From AHS
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
"will provide a warm bread (or biscuit) flavor and aroma, and will add a garnet-brown color. Since this malt has no enzymes, it must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power. The maximum amount used in a grain bill should be 5-15% of the total."

From AHS
Biscuit common in wheat beers? I'm thinking that I want to do a wheat beer soon. Much like Boris Organic, or Mill St Organic. It's wet, with hints of mild citrus and smoke

Quick Reply