Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
skaboyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sparging

I am new to all grain brewing and could use any help on the sparging process the books I have left me with alittle question. I would apriciate any help. I just can't belive it is that complicated but pls help if you can

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What is the question?

Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I batch sparge...it's really easy. Recirculate the first runnings until the wort clears, then empty the mash tun quickly until the grain bed just begins to compact. Then add 70C to 80C water, gently stir and leave for 10-15 mins. Recirculate and then empty quickly again. Continue to do this until the required volume is reached or the gravity is around 1008.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

... and I fly sparge. This involves draining the runnings then slowly sprinkling 75C water over the grain bed, while draining, so that there is a half-inch layer of water over it. This is done slowly for an hour or more so as to rinse out as much sugar as possible.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

And whether you decide to batch or fly sparge, add about 1g of near boiling water to the mash and stir to raise the temp up to 168F (75C) before starting. This will greatly improve your efficiency (at least, it did for me.)

-a.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
skaboyd
Recipes 

Default thank you all

My main concern is how do I fly or batch sparge. I have read using two 5 gallon buckets one with 1/8 inch holes drilled in the bottom to I guess ( fly sparge). I hate to sound like a novice but I have been used to using pre made malts and well I want to get a little more experimenting in with all grains I belive there is alot of posiblilitys with mixing some grains to create my own malt. Unfortunatly I am not ready to spend money to buy equipmenty untill I can do it a few times. The 60 to 90 min sparge time claims I need to have the water above the grain bed as I extract the sugars at a constant of 170-180 deg F ( 77-82 C). I have seen a couple of options to create a lauter-tun out of 5 gal. buckets and coolers. If I do this and pour the hot water in to the buckets mixing mash into it as well do I initially let the hot water set and slowly drain while adding more hot water The description of this in my book seems a little vauge and I am worried if I do not sparge properly I will be losing the extra umph my brew should have. Does this sound right or am I heading in the wrong direction? and once again thanks for the comments

Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
skaboyd
Recipes 

Or is the Mash tun easier?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbo
What is the question?
You just want to spoil the surpise don't you Actually.... that is not a bad question to his question (or lack of it actually).

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Palmer has plans for building a mash tun at www.howtobrew.com

I made mine out of a 5 gal. round igloo. You have the right idea how it works. Check out Palmer's site. It should clear everything up, I hope. If not, that's why we're here.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboyd
Unfortunatly I am not ready to spend money to buy equipmenty untill I can do it a few times. The 60 to 90 min sparge time claims I need to have the water above the grain bed as I extract the sugars at a constant of 170-180 deg F ( 77-82 C). I have seen a couple of options to create a lauter-tun out of 5 gal. buckets and coolers. If I do this and pour the hot water in to the buckets mixing mash into it as well do I initially let the hot water set and slowly drain while adding more hot water The description of this in my book seems a little vauge and I am worried if I do not sparge properly I will be losing the extra umph my brew should have. Does this sound right or am I heading in the wrong direction? and once again thanks for the comments
Well you sound like you have the basics down.... though I'm confused on how you plan to do it a few times if your not ready to spend the money to buy the equipment needed. What book are you using? You being concerned about loosing the "extra umph" in your brew sounds justified. You might want to try doing a partial mash where you could use a grain bag. This way you might be able to get away with using the brewpot your using now. My personal preference is to do things right the first time. What are you doing now and why do you want to go to an AG route? There are tons of things you can do to improve your beer without going AG.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply