Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge water temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
griffondg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sparge water temperature

I see a lot of seasoned brewers stating they sparge with water with temps between 180-190 while John Palmer (and Jamil) state that you should never use water much above 170. Here's a direct quote from How to Brew:

"The temperature of the sparge water is important. The water should be no more than 170°F, as husk tannins become more soluble above this temperature, depending on wort pH. This could lead to astringency in the beer."

At first I thought maybe it was just poorly written and he meant to not let the grain bed get above 170, but while listening to a podcast with both Palmer and Jamil they state the sparge water they use is 170-175. So my question is, what do most people do for sparge water temp and if it's much above 170 do you see any of the associted issues mentioned above? The reason I ask is that I'm attempting to up my efficiency and I see a lot of people state to use higher temps while sparging but I don't want to cause more problems than I'm solving.

Thanks!

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I heat my sparge water to 185F. Then I pour it into an unheated cooler. I fly sparge, and when I open the outlet on the cooler, the water dribbles through the hose and out of the sparge arm. By the time it exits the sparge arm and enters the mash, it has cooled to < 170F. I can only speak for my own equipment.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

jgroeger Likes This 
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

John Palmers says that in the context of sparging AFTER a mashout infusion to get the grain bed up to 170F in the first place. If you don't mash out, you need hot sparge water to perform a similar temp rise. If you batch sparge you may or may not choose to mash out. If you don't, you can raise the temp of the sparge water to near 190F and it will not get the bed over 170F.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
jgroeger Likes This 
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
griffondg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
John Palmers says that in the context of sparging AFTER a mashout infusion to get the grain bed up to 170F in the first place. If you don't mash out, you need hot sparge water to perform a similar temp rise. If you batch sparge you may or may not choose to mash out. If you don't, you can raise the temp of the sparge water to near 190F and it will not get the bed over 170F.
Ok, that makes sense. I always questioned why he said in a Mash Out to get the grain temp to 170 but for a sparge water to not pass 170. So the key is for the GRAIN to never get past 170. Got it, thanks!

Eric

Old 10-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I heat my sparge water to 185F. Then I pour it into an unheated cooler. I fly sparge, and when I open the outlet on the cooler, the water dribbles through the hose and out of the sparge arm. By the time it exits the sparge arm and enters the mash, it has cooled to < 170F. I can only speak for my own equipment.

-a.
This is almost exactly what I do, although I heat my sparge water to near 200 F and pump it into an elevated non-preheated cooler for a gravity fed fly sparge. The sparge water will cool considerably by the time it hits the grain bed. Haven't had any problems at all doing it this way and the grain bed is always below 170F throughout the sparge.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
rshosted
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I also have started measuring the temp of my grain bed water (on top). I found that when I did 175* it was not getting much warmer than 158. So I started sparging with 200, and my sparge top water was more around 170. Just a note, this is without a mash out, so I'm not raising the temps prior to sparging, after mashing.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I should have said in my previous post that I do a mash out to raise the grain bed temperature close to 170F prior to starting the sparge. Without the mashout, the sparge temperature would stay in the low 150's, and my efficiency dropped by 10%.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I batch sparge with near-boiling water and add pH 5.2 to avoid any problems. Fast and efficient.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
griffondg
Recipes 

Thanks everybody. I've not paid any attention to pH at this point but perhaps I should. Next sparge I'll shoot to get the grain bed close to 170.

Eric

Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6342 Times on 5490 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
yes, exactly.

my last brew my final mash temp was 152*F, my sparge was 182*F (I undershot) and my grainbed only got to 164*F

+1 to Bobby_M's primer that's in his signature as well.....(haven't pimped that in awhile )

Quick Reply