The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge water question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
karbinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Sparge water question

After the Mash rest of said temp, Am I suppose to add the hot hot water BEFORE first runoff ? I've just emptied the MTL of it's original liquid,put that in the boil kettle, and THEN add required sparge water on the grain bed to hit the 170f . Is this proper, or ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like you did the same thing I do, runoff first mash, add sparge water and runoff, I do 2 sparges though, of equal volume, you will be fine dude, cheers

Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yes, I recommend draining off first runnings before sparging but ONLY if you're breaking your sparge into two half sized infusions. If you're trying to sparge in a singe infusion, it's best that your first and second runnings are close to equal volumes. In order to do this, you'd add a bit of your sparge water just before running off. This is typically called a mash out infusion.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
karbinator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys!! Yes, I split the sparge in half, so I get the initial run, a second, and a third. All to equal the needed recipe boil mark.

Quick Reply