*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge Temperature for 2 Rinses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
mcleanmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sparge Temperature for 2 Rinses?

I am using http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php for my mash and sparge calculator, I have compared it with some others and it has been fairly reliable for me so far.

For the batch I am doing it calculates a sparge volume of 5.16 gallons. Normally I would add this volume at 185-190 degrees to get a grainbed temp of 168 or so.

Well, I am hoping to increase my efficiency by using 2 smaller batch sparges instead of 1 of the full volume.

So my question is: By breaking the 5.16 gallons into two smaller volumes (2.58 gal each?) would I need to increase the temperature of each to ensure that I still raise the grainbed to a high enough temperature?

Thanks!

Next:American Amber, Russian Imperial Stout, Abbey Dubbel, Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

great question..... Probably yes because if your mashing out at 168 ( alot of us don't mash out myself included ) you need to raise the entire mash temp. The first smaller addition will be higher than if you put the full amount but the second addition can be at 168 degrees as long as the grain bed has already been raised with the smaller addition first. The exact calculation depends on the recipe as the more grain the more heat absorbtion, it will also depend on the thermodynamics of the mashing vessel. hope that made sense.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah that makes sense. I am not really looking to do a mash out...I have just been lead to believe that raising the mash temperature to 168 when you sparge will result in the highest extraction. But I do see what you are saying raise it to 168 with the first rinse and maintain it at 168 with the second.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Honesty, this is what I do...be it good practice or not.

I heat my sparge water to 170 and split it in two batches. I pour in half, stir and let sit for a few minutes. Drain off and repeat with remainder of water (not reheating).

Seem to get decent efficiency of high 70s on good days. Before I changed mash tuns I use to get in the 80s.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think for tonight I am going to use brewheads sparge calculator and just go with a mashout...see how it comes out.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanmj
Yeah that makes sense. I am not really looking to do a mash out...I have just been lead to believe that raising the mash temperature to 168 when you sparge will result in the highest extraction. But I do see what you are saying raise it to 168 with the first rinse and maintain it at 168 with the second.
No raising the grain temp to 168 does not increase extraction though it does loosen the mash and makes the sparge smoother. Raising the bed to 168 is called a mash out it STOPS all enzymatic conversion of sugars and should only be done to ensure it has stopped. Most of us either use a iodine test to determine if conversion is complete. I rarely mash out.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow if I ever added 170 degree water to 12 pounds of mash at 150 +- it would be way under the 168 degree optimal sparge temp. I split my batch sparge additions and always heat it to 205 degrees which always gets me right around 170 degrees for the first addition and 168 for the second, which is perfect for me. I have read about people heating until 185 degrees, for me this would be barely 160 degrees, it's were I started years ago and quickly learned that if splitting the 5 gallons or so sparge water I need to be in the 200's.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
andyherrick
Recipes 

Bandt9299....I agree with you. I usually split sparge along with mash out. 200 degree sparge water temp. for split sparges gets me 170ish. If i dont split, i go lower. After reading all your comments i may skip mash out all together and just do split sparges.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4506 Times on 3277 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherrick View Post
Bandt9299....I agree with you. I usually split sparge along with mash out. 200 degree sparge water temp. for split sparges gets me 170ish. If i dont split, i go lower. After reading all your comments i may skip mash out all together and just do split sparges.
Yep, me too. The first addition is around 200 degrees, so that the grainbed gets brought up to 165-168 degrees. The second addition is around 170, to keep the grainbed there.

If you are lower, that's fine. It's not crucial to hit 168, as you're bringing the runnings up to a boil anyway right after. It's just thought that it makes the sugars more soluble. You can even sparge with cold water, so it's not all that important to hit 168!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not all that important, try steeping a tea bag in cold water vs. hot water? hhmmmm.

Quick Reply