Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sparge Question (Using Beersmith)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
JayInJersey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sparge Question (Using Beersmith)

So this is my first AG and I entered the recipe into Beersmith to figure out all my temps and such...but I think I made a mistake, or did i?

Grain bill is 16# (Its a porter as I love porters)

Recipe says Mash In @ 153 for 60 and Out @ 170 for 10...

So I entered that in...all good so far

The part I have concerns with is Beersmith tells me to Sparge with 2.17 gallons of water after 18.4qt MashIn and 9.12qt MashOut...Is that right?

7 Gallon Mash with a 2 Gallon Sparge?

Target Gravity is 1.074 and I figures since it was my first time my Efficiency would be around 60%ish untill I get the hang of it.

Did I screwup even before I started?

[Oh and I've been a lurker for a bit on these forums and really need to thank everyone on here for all their questions and posts. Its taken all the scare out of AG and, unless I've royally screwed this up, really has me looking forward to the next steps of my homebrewing!]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's a really big grain bill which is why you're getting a big mash volume and small sparge volume. Your options are:

1) Use the volumes as given.
2) Change the Water/Grain Ratio to give you a thicker mash leaving you more to sparge with.
3) Increase your boil time (which will increase your boil volume and sparge volume).
4) A combination of 2 and 3.

I would probably opt for option 4.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

16# at 1.25qts/lb is 20 quarts or 5 gallons strike water.

Grain will absorb about 2 gallons so you'll run off 3 gallons first runnings.

Sparge volume would be about 3.5-4 gallons depending on how big your pot is and how much evaporation you get.

Are you planning to batch sparge?

Where in NJ are you? I could peek over your shoulder if I'm available when you do this.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Definitely planning on Batch Sparging

My pot is huge its a big arse 20 Gal Fryer I got dirt cheap and the Tun is an Igloo Ice Cube Cooler I converted (60qt or so it says).

How long can you boil a brew before it narfs it all up?

And I'm to Philadelphia as you are to New York

I'm in Tabernacle...or since you (and the rest of the free world) have no idea where that is, let's say Camden.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok, so I'd suggest this:

5 gallons mash.
At the end of the 60 minute mash, add .5 gallon near boiling water stirring it in well, recirculate about 2 quarts to clear the runoff. Drain the tun fully (you'll get about 3.5 gallons)
Add 3.5 gallons of 175F sparge water, stir, recirculate a few quarts, drain that.

Boil. You should boil down 7 gallons to 5.5 in a 70 minute boil.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply