Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sour Mashing-Small Vessel/Gallon Jug?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My berliner was completely unhopped; I didn't really see the point of 10 IBUs. I fermented mine with a handful of raw grain only for three August days in my Texas garage, then added some US-05. It tastes a lot like carbonated lemon juice concentrate, but in a good way.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Update:
I've really tried to maintain the water bath above the 112-115 temp range to keep the mash temps elevated above 110. This evening so much gas was being pushed up through the mash that it created air/gas pockets throughout the mash and raised it's overall height by about an inch. It's become quite thick, perhaps too thick, so I added about 11 oz. boiling water and mixed it in well before returning the mash to my cooler-water bath of 123 degree water.

I'm amazed this smells much cleaner than I expected as I was expecting the full on nastiness of what I get from grain left in a mash tun for 4 days. It's really quite clean with a pure sourness to it. Very good news!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply