Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sorachi questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Sorachi questions...

Has anybody gotten to the tasting stage with a batch using the Sorachi Ace hops? I'm curious as to how the lemony aroma translates in the brew as I'm toying around with some recipe ideas for a lemon-lime brew for SWMBO. She seems to enjoy the fruit-beers with a fairly strong nose and I would like to see if I can get that aroma across. If you are at that stage, please let me know what type of beer it's in and how you hopped it so I can get an idea of its' effects.

Thanks!!!

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Boek
Recipes 

I'd like to know too.

(Is there a rule about not bumping 6 yr old posts?)

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I make a summer ale with Sorachi and Falconers Flight. The aroma is citrus/spicy and I get a flavor more in line with grapefruit than lemon. That being said it's probably the Falconers coming through. This years Sorachi has a bit more Dill in the nose than I remember form last year, this comes out a bit in the beer as well. All told the Summer ale is a hit even with the BMC crowd.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I recently did a summertime pale ale using an ounce of Citras at 2 minutes and and ounce of Sorachi Ace at flameout (5 gallon batch). Nice citrus/lemon aroma, and BIG citrus/lemon taste. Was a big hit at the Fourth of July cookout I took it to, even among the BMC drinkers. I'll definitely make this recipe again.

I'd love to hear what other folks are doing with Sorachi Ace. It's a really interesting variety and worth experimenting with.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Boek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadyKilowatt
I recently did a summertime pale ale using an ounce of Citras at 2 minutes and and ounce of Sorachi Ace at flameout (5 gallon batch). Nice citrus/lemon aroma, and BIG citrus/lemon taste. Was a big hit at the Fourth of July cookout I took it to, even among the BMC drinkers. I'll definitely make this recipe again.

I'd love to hear what other folks are doing with Sorachi Ace. It's a really interesting variety and worth experimenting with.
Did you get any dill flavor? Im hearing a lot about dill flavor that doesnt sound that great.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I certainly haven't noticed any dill flavor, but the guy at my LHBS did warn me that he had experienced some "cat piss" flavor with using Sorachis as a bittering hop. He said he wouldn't use them any earlier than the last 20 minutes of the boil at most. Maybe some of the compounds giving him "cat piss" are the same ones giving other folks dill. Might be best to stick with using these as a late addition hop.

Like I said, I put them in at flameout and really liked the results.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadyKilowatt View Post

I did a Sorachi Ace/Pacific jade saison:

Sorachi Jade Saison

Its pretty intense lemon. Good to try it out, but i most likely wont be using it again. Pine-sol, lemonade, dill. i dunno maybe a touch of it would be better than a majority.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would say more dill aroma than flavor. I don't want to scare anyone away, I think Sorachi is a great hop and the Lemon/citrus does come though but I think it is either heighted or deminished depending on what supporting hops are used.. I just re-brewed my summer ale with an Amarillo addition and I dry hopped with Centennial and Ahtanhum. I'll report back once I drink it and let you know the flavor profile.

I made a Rosemary Rye Saison last year with Saaz and Sorachi and the Lemon did come out in that beer.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I make a sorachi pale wheat and its awesome. For 1.056 in ten gallons, one oz each at 60, 30, 15, & 5 minutes. I used wb06 and us05 llast time aand I prefer the 05. Really great summer drinker. No dill, but not sure it'll replace a lemon addition if you enjoy a fruited beer. One of my favorite hops

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did a rye saison with perle, saaz, and sorachi. Used sorachi at 15 mins and 5 mins. I also added zest of 5 key limes at whirlpool and 5 more into secondary with another ounce f sorachi. It has been in secondary on the limes for 3 days now and I just pulled a sample tonight. Lime is not overpowering but certainly present. I don't get pinesol from it at all nor am I picking up any dill. I repst once I get it carbed up....but the samples have been very promising. Also, used the wyeast french saison strain (cant remember the numbers exactly, 3711 maybe?) And it finished up at 1.004. That yeast is a savage

Quick Reply