New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sometimes you just can't trust your wife....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Shonuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sometimes you just can't trust your wife....

So my favorite style of beer has always been a Belgian Triple. I've never had the balls to try and brew one because I don't have a solid means for fermentation control.

There is about a month out of the year where my basement stays a solid 63-65 degrees. So I thought I would brew a triple and cross my fingers.

So I brewed my all grain tiple and had an OG of 1.079 and fermented at a solid 64 degrees for a week. After a week I moved the carboy upstairs where the temperature stayed at a solid 70 degrees.

I left the triple in the primary for five weeks and today it went straight to a keg. I'll probably leave it in the keg for another six months.

My FG was 1.009, nice and bone dry. ABV should be aound 9.5%. I thought the hydrometer sample tasted absolutely fantastic.

I needed another opinion so I gave the sample to my wife who hates triples. She said it was too strong and tasted digusting (she's a big fan of Miller Chill what can I say) so I knew I had a winner.

She's a doctor but she doesn't know $hit about beer.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

haha. gotta love the Miller Chill comment

Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If you gave a beer to a Miller chill drinker and they liked it then I think I wouldn't want to drink that beer.

I know fully grown Men who drink AlchoPoPs at weekend. They hate my beer.
'nuf said.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1249 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
So my favorite style of beer has always been a Belgian Triple. I've never had the balls to try and brew one because I don't have a solid means for fermentation control.
neither do I.. it doesn't stop me from making them however
Chaos, fluctuating temperatures and patience can lead to a really good triple.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post

There is about a month out of the year where my basement stays a solid 63-65 degrees. So I thought I would brew a triple and cross my fingers.

So I brewed my all grain tiple and had an OG of 1.079 and fermented at a solid 64 degrees for a week. After a week I moved the carboy upstairs where the temperature stayed at a solid 70 degrees.

I left the triple in the primary for five weeks and today it went straight to a keg. I'll probably leave it in the keg for another six months.

My FG was 1.009, nice and bone dry. ABV should be aound 9.5%. I thought the hydrometer sample tasted absolutely fantastic.

I needed another opinion so I gave the sample to my wife who hates triples. She said it was too strong and tasted digusting (she's a big fan of Miller Chill what can I say) so I knew I had a winner.

She's a doctor but she doesn't know $hit about beer.
you know belgians are one style that you really can let the temp do whatever. Lots of times they even need to get up there a bit to finish or produce some of their flavors. One strain, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, stalls on most people if you don't keep it up around 80. In fact I've never fermented a Belgian below 70.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
henrychinaski
Recipes 

cheers on the trippel! i just brewed one too. but i had a distinctly different experience with my partner. i fermented the 10 gallon batch with wyeast 3787 in one of those blue 15 gallon extract containers... in our living room for two weeks at 64 - 72 (o.g. 1.077). last night i drew off a hydrometer sample (1.008) and she enjoyed it as much as i did. i'm often thankful for her appreciation of this art when i read gripes about significant others on here. though she's by nature a very frugal person, she's never said any thing about the money or amount of time i spend on brewing (i've brewed about 120 all-grain batches in the last 3 years).
there are barley-pop drinkers who come 'round here though. once in a while i brew one for them. it's usually a wit, a mild, or a kolsch (since i can't do lagers without a bunch of juggling), and sometimes even those are too gamey for them. i figure it's their loss. it's like clinging to twinkies when there's creme brule to be had.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
you know belgians are one style that you really can let the temp do whatever. Lots of times they even need to get up there a bit to finish or produce some of their flavors. One strain, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, stalls on most people if you don't keep it up around 80. In fact I've never fermented a Belgian below 70.
I think you are thinking of a saison....those are supposed to be fermentated around 70 and then gradually brought up to 80 degrees or so to dry them out completely.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah with a big beer I was trying to keep the fusel alcohols down.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife is actually starting to come around. We went to dinner last night and she didn't order a Bud Light. I asked her why she didn't get a beer and she said "Because they don't have real beer here". It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Girlfriends are easy to convert. Try to get your mom to drink an IPA. That is a challenge.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Quick Reply