Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Something is not right here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
natehilde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default Something is not right here

I kegged my first AG about a week ago, and I have a few concerns. There seems to be something wrong, but I can't put my finger on it.

My target OG was 1052 and I was a bit shy of that, at about 1049. I pitched a 1liter yeast starter and fermentation temp was between 75-77F.

The beer tastes weak, watered down, bland, and overall disappointing. I know that it has only been one week and it will continue to get better, but I can usually tell by this point if the batch is going to be worth a damn. What's going on here?

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

You should post a recipe, and what yeast did you use 75-77 is a tad warm, depending on the style and yeast strain.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
You should post a recipe, and what yeast did you use 75-77 is a tad warm, depending on the style and yeast strain.
Here is the recipe that I used:

* 5 lbs. Dingemans Pils
* 2 lbs. Munich Malt
* 2 lbs. Dark Munich Malt
* 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
* 0.50 lbs. Breiss Crystal 60

* 1 oz. Liberty (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
* 0.5 oz. Hallertau (5 min)

Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II

I know that was probably a bit too high for the temperature range......work was interfering with my hobby again!
"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

What was the final Gravity, so I can crunch some numbers. also what was your efficiancy and mash schedule and sparge run off?

Cheers

Last edited by WOP31; 09-07-2007 at 02:39 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Well, while I have been answering you questions, I think I found some of the problems.

My final gravity was 1025 (only 48% attenuation)

Mash schedule: single infusion at 152F for one hour. Collected first runnings and fly sparged while collecting wort (20-25 min)

I don't know how to calculate efficiency.

I was also supposed to use about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. I pretty much blew that off. I think I was about 3 quarts per pound of grain.

I think that my water usage coupled with fermentation temperature probably was two main contributors.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I was about 3 quarts per pound of grain.

That just might explain the watery flavor with all the grains other than 2 row you added.
You probably didn't get proper conversion from your mash.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I don't fly sparge, but if I remember correctly you should sparge very slowly, like over an hour to extract the sugars. So, you should mash with around 1.25-1.5quarts/pound and sparge with the remainder (which would be twice that probably). You kind of got that backwards, so that would explain the watery flavor. It might improve a bit in the keg, so don't write it off yet!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

That FG seems a little high, and I would expect the beer to have a lot of body and flavor with that much sugar left in it. Very strange indeed.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Do you think that the watery flavor could be because I didn't get enough boil off? Other than the water to grist ratio, I haven't the foggiest of ideas how to calculate water usage prior to brewing. Like I said, this was my first AG. I had never seen one done before. I just jumped right into AG from extract. I figured that if I hit all the major points, the rest would fall into place. Or in the words of Joe Dirt, "that **** will buff out."

Old 09-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You can get some software like BeerSmith or ProMash that will calculate water usage for you. I like BeerSmith better in this area.

You don't need them, however. in http://www.howtobrew.com , Palmer goes over calculations that determine how much water to use and the temperature of the water to add to get to your final temp. It's quite useful.

Quick Reply