Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > someone please convince me to keep going!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
weagle05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I'm surprised no one else has asked this...before you call foul on the water we need to know more of your process. How long are you fermenting these brews? Primary and Secondary...primary only?
And have you tried any several months after bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
lpdb185
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I'm surprised no one else has asked this...before you call foul on the water we need to know more of your process. How long are you fermenting these brews? Primary and Secondary...primary only?
i typically let them ferment for 4-6 weeks, primary only. i then cold crash and keg. i had a belgian pale ale that was right at a year old and it still tasted horrible. i threw it out. i have a tripel that's about 6-7 months in the keg, but i haven't tried it in a while. i was planning on letting it sit in the closet for a few more months. i pulled it out of the kegerator after 3-4 months because it still tasted "off". i'm going to try to get a water report sometime today, if possible.

as for aging, wouldn't you want to drink a belgian ipa pretty soon? or do they not lose much hop flavor after aging?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What kind of pitching rate are you using? I have gotten heavy into the Belgians of late and have not had any issue with sulfur. I've used WLP500, 530 and 550. I do like the 530 the best so far though. Just did a 1.100 quad and kegged it last weekend. No taste of sulfur with only two week fermentation. 1.100-1.020, pitched a butt load of harvested yeast, pitched at 66 and free rose to 68. Held at 68 for 1 week then ramped up to 72 for the second week.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
lpdb185
Recipes 

just got off the phone with the lady at the water dept. and she said the only things they test for are hazardous elements such as copper, lead, and e-coli. she said i would have to test it myself to find what i needed.

is there any easy way to do this? would it just be easier to buy bottled spring water?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

someone please convince me to keep going!!!!

Brewing makes your willy bigger

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
lpdb185
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
What kind of pitching rate are you using? I have gotten heavy into the Belgians of late and have not had any issue with sulfur. I've used WLP500, 530 and 550. I do like the 530 the best so far though. Just did a 1.100 quad and kegged it last weekend. No taste of sulfur with only two week fermentation. 1.100-1.020, pitched a butt load of harvested yeast, pitched at 66 and free rose to 68. Held at 68 for 1 week then ramped up to 72 for the second week.
as far as pitching rates, i use whatever the mr. malty program says. they are usually ~2L starters on the stir plate for ~18-24hrs.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdb185 View Post

is there any easy way to do this? would it just be easier to buy bottled spring water?
http://www.wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WaterAnalysis.aspx
You're looking for test W-6 on $16.95.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 143
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.24
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.4 / 2.3
ppm
Sodium, Na 3
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 43
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 116
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 1
Chloride, Cl 2
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 132
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 109

Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
smit_al
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just remembered the La Fin Du Monde clone you brewed at my house, you used the water hose with the filter to fill your brew kettle.

Try store bought water.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

OMG don't give up!!

The water in my town is loaded with chlorine and chloramines (thank you city for sending out the water report via bulk mail).

The first couple of batches I brewed with tap water (before I knew any better) had an odd aftertaste. The dubbel took about 6 months in the bottle before I could actually drink it. I would say the aftertaste was a sort of chemical-y thing - difficult to describe, maybe a bit like latex or plastic.

Then I switched to bottled water. No aftertaste at all.

Got sick and tired of dealing with lugging bottled water, so I picked up some Campden tablets.

Definitely test your water. Chloramines are a pretty common side effect of treating municipal water supplies. If it turns out not to be chloramines, then either invest in a filtration system or buy bottled water.

Don't give up. "Bad" water can definitely cause unpleasant taste effects in what would otherwise be a decent brew.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

Just go get a Wards Labs report. I just called my city offices and asked them if they had a place I can take my rocks and broken concrete. Then I asked if they put any Chlorine or Chloramine and she said YES!

The person who handles that is out for the week, but she said they add it because of old pipes or some such. So from now i am using Spring water, or distilled. Chloramine can be hard to detect when just drinking the water, but can be noticeable in the finished beer.

Knowing what your water chemistry is can go a long ways towards not just making a great beer, bot not making a decent too.

Quick Reply