This thread should get some of you seasoned brewers some well deserved likes.
I will be doing my first All Grain brew here in a few weeks. Here is my method:
To my questions:
- Step 1 - Mash grains in 5 Gallon Jug at temp of 150F for 30-60 Minutes (depending on the recipe)
- Step 2 - Empty first mash into brew kettle
- Step 3 - Sparge the grains for 5-10 minutes
- Step 4 - Empty sparge into brew kettle
- Step 5 - Brew recipe as normal adding DME to get to final gravity
1)Does the above method suffice?
2)How much grain should I expect to use with this method? I was originally thinking 5 lbs but that was before I got a free 5 gal jug from my employer. I believe the more the grain the better correct? I know it depends on the style.
3) Is Beersmith 2.1 any better than 1.4? I know the layout is a bit different but is it worth the $23.95 upgrade or am I fine with 1.4?
4)How do I enter my "Mash Profile" in Beersmith? I know the basic inputs (water amount, water temp) is there a preset for the method I stated above?
5)What are the conversions for Grain to LME and Grain to DME? I am hoping to avoid using either but want to ensure there are enough fermentables. I am sure there will be a learning curve so the LME and DME are there to improve on the mistakes that may be made.
Any help will be much appreciated.