Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Soapy flavor due to water or trub? How to fix.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
dmbGator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Soapy flavor due to water or trub? How to fix.

So I brewed over a friends house, he bought a brand new house, and we used the water from the hose from an outside spigot. Now I live in Columbus, OH and have never had problems with the water from my beer, I also get it from the tap. I lived in Cleveland, OH and brewed before and never had problems, but also got the water from the tap, not outside spigot. We brewed the Haus pale ale you can find in the recipe section and it has a very intense soapy flavor to it. I've read the other posts about this issue and see that for me it is one of two things, either bad water, or trub. Since we did a 10 gallon batch and split it, I filled my fermentor first and essentially inherited all the trub because he did not have a strainer. This beer fermented for around 4 days and then I had to drive it home, 120 miles, in the middle of fermentation, but that didn't seem to be a problem, it continued fermeting. Now I'm waiting on him to try his so that I can rule out the trub issue and get down to adjusting the chemicals in the water if possible at this point, or is it at the point of no return? All the other threads identify the issue, but I could not find one that dealt with fixing the issue? Is it possible? I'm open for suggestions.

Edit: More Information

It was brewed on Dec. 28th, and I left it in the primary until Jan. 16th were I moved it to keg for cold crash and carbonation. Fermentaion temps were 66 degrees. I know it sat on all that trub so it's still hard to rule that out right now. Friend said he will try it tonight and give me a taste update. If his doesn't taste like soap, its most likely the trub issue, if it does, its most likely a water issue.

Upcoming:
Primary: Pale Ale
Secondary: Gint's Two Kidney Ale, Oktoberfest, Conway's Irish Ale Clone, Shiraz
Bottled: Apfelwein, Green Apple Reisling
Kegged:Phat Tyre

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some off flavors will fade with time, but I don't think the soapy flavor is one of them. I don't think there is anything you can do short of mixing it with another brew to dilute the flavor, but maybe cutting your losses is preferable.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Adding minerals to water post-active-fermentation can change the flavor of a final product, but one of its important purposes is to aid in yeast health. I'm not sure if adding minerals now would help much.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
dmbGator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So here is a new idea, lets figure out how to make soap out of beer. Lol instead of dumping it, which is what is probably going to happen, lets make beer scented soap. Sorry I'm trying to come to a conclusion about what to do if this situation happens to others. I guess their are only two options right now, wait even though I think we know what the outcome will be, or just dump now and save the gas.

Upcoming:

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Trub? I ferment with trub in the primary all the time. IME your probably getting some chemical taste from that garden hose.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Many of us have been leaving our beers on the yeast in primary for a month, for years.....Ideas about off flavors from the yeast have gone away. So I would look elsewhere for your issues. In fact I would challenge you to consider leaving your beer alone for a month and you might find that your off flavors are actually eliminated.

But you need to be looking elsewhere for your problem.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

How soapy are we talking here? Slightly off or undrinkable?

Could be from the garden hose. Garden hoses have all sorts of nasty chemicals in them that can react with the beer.

OR

Sometimes hops can taste kinda soapy. Perhaps you need some gypsum to punch up those hops.

BUT

I really doubt it's the trub.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wait, you used water from his spigot outside, through a garden hose?

if so, garden hoses are not meant for potable water. You need a white R/V hose for doing this.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
dmbGator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like I said,this is not my usual routine. I brew every other weekend and I love the beers I produce. I went to a friends house and kinda like your house your rules. I have never had to dump a batch. It's not the hops, and im pretty sure its not the trub, mines sat on trub just like yours, I'm pretty (almost 99.9%) sure that this is a water issue at this point, or the hose. I think I've learned a lesson, no garden hose.

Revvy, I've read many of you comments and know you are well respected here in the community. I will let the beer set for as long as I can hold out and by that I mean probably 2 weeks until the the next batch needs to be carbed. I only have two gas lines.

Upcoming:

Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have more than two corny's you can pull it off the gas and let it sit. There is nothing wrong with doing that. +1 to letting it sit.

If you don't have an extra it is a great excuse to get one!

Quick Reply