Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Smoothest Brew Day So Far...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
Komocabo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know the feeling... It's the kind of thing that'll make you melt, seeing your kid become in control of thier surroundings. Makes you want to turn back time a bit, but also makes you feel proud and confident that you're doing what we, as fathers, should be proud of. Our kids, and our families.

-Cheers!

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
elkshadow
Lord Creator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Lots of good vibes in this thread. I like it in here.

On topic again, I never drink until I'm finished. I usually start at noon and done by 4 which is even still a little early for me. The last couple times I've had a "helper" over and he likes to drink. The first time he came I drank 2 or 3 during the course of brewing and decided I wouldn't do it again. I like to keep my head clear and I absolutely HATED cleaning up with a mild buzz.

And really I'm only sitting around during the mash. During the pre-boil I'm measuring hops and checking gravity. During the boil, I clean out the tun, clean up after mashing, organize and sanitize stuff for post chill, etc... Like the OP said, when I'm done I clean the chiller and pot and strainer and I'm done. Then it's Miller........., I mean Homebrew Time!!!

elkshadow reserves the right to refer to himself in the third person.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 213

The other thing that I really dialed in was batch sparging.

I stirred the crap out of it after both sparge additions and brought mash efficiency up to 78.5% according to BS.

I did remember something after the fact when I was entering data into BS.

I mashed 10# grain in 12.5 qts of water @ 168-ish, stirred like hell and then let it rest for a couple of minutes and took temp.
It was around 149 or so and I had to add some hot water a little bit at a time to bring it up to 152. The issue was that in my haste to get it done, I did not measure the additional water. SWAG is around 1 gallon.

So my grist ratio went from 1.25 qt/#
(which seem to be the default in BeerSmith for single infusion/medium body/batch sparge)
to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.65 qt/# (I figured that this was OK)

I have done some reading on the forum and I am wondering if my setup is more in tune with bringing the ratio up closer to the 1.5 qt/#.
My first AG was very similar and I had to add hot water to bring it up and I also had great effic. then too. On subsequent batches I kept with the 1.25 to 1.33 ratio and got high 60's efficiency.

So.... is my increased efficiency caused by:
1) Higher ratio?
2) Stirring like mad at mash in, again prior to first runnings, and yet again after each sparge?
3) A combination of both?

I will attach a copy of my water profile (if I can manage) since that is most likely going to be the first thing that someone asks for.

File Type: pdf WaterProfile.pdf (26.1 KB, 11 views)

PRIMARY: End of Summer Mish-Mash Ale
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning and Drinking: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking:Regal Pale Ale
Conditioning and Drinking:Dirty Blonde Ale
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The extra water probably helped the stirring a little bit. Most of the efficiency gain was probably due to the combination of the two.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
brewkinger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian
The extra water probably helped the stirring a little bit. Most of the efficiency gain was probably due to the combination of the two.
Understood. Now that I have gotten some extra info, let me pick your brains a little more.

Assuming that my process continues to bring 75% efficiency consistently, what increase might I see from getting a quality mill and getting the crush dialed in?

SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have noticed that my efficiency has been very stable at 75%, according to brewsmith. I was all over the place until I got my own mill. I go with 1:1.25 ratio and have experienced really good results with my system. I think a mill is a good investment, as you will buy bulk grain and save some $$ on brew day. I like in the sticks, so it was really worth the investment. If you live a few blocks away from the LHBS, then buy your grains that you need and crush them there. It would take a lot if batches for a good mill to.pay for itself if you have a convenient location. I will say that I love cruahing my grain as I heat the strike water... it just adds fun to the brew day

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
I usually start my brew days around 9 am which is a bit early to drink in my opinion. So I usually wait until after the boil starts. I get my lunch and drink a cold one.
+1, one time my brother and I split a growler of Palo Santalo Morron (12%) during an evening brew session, bad idea. Turned out well, but no notes, threw out beer sheet, accidentally erased recipe while trying to put og in Beersmith. I now stay under 6%, or have no more than 1 bottle of a stronger beer.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger View Post
Assuming that my process continues to bring 75% efficiency consistently, what increase might I see from getting a quality mill and getting the crush dialed in?
Honestly I don't think you could get more than about another 5% from dialing in your crush. If you are getting your grains milled from a place that ships then they usually have a pretty good crush already so your increase wouldn't be too much from them. However if you are getting grains from a LHBS and they have a poor crush then your gain would be higher.

I'm with Komocabo about bulk grains and the enjoyment of crushing your own more than the pure efficiency of it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #19
brewkinger

Recipes 

And I agree, I get so much enjoyment from brewing. SWMBO is cool with it on a scheduled basis which keeps me from spending a lot more!!!!
I want to add the milling to my day.

And I will definitely start my day at 7am like I did for my last batch. Cup of coffee, heating mash water and milling; sounds like a great start to a day to me!

SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'

Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
brewkinger

Recipes 

But back OT

As far as where I get my grains, same place for all my AG batches and I have gotten from high 50s on one batch (I know why)
3 in the 60s and 2 in the high 70s

I can honestly say that the two highest efficiencies were my first ever batch, when a friend and I did everything by the letter.
And my last batch Sunday, again when I took my sober focused time and did it right by the letter.

So as far as the grains are concerned, I would say my LHBS (which is 90 miles away) is giving me a pretty decent crush. Agree??

So if I follow your sage advice then if it ain't broke.......

Guess I will ask for a mill for birthday.
Anyone feel generous????
..;.…
Ok! SWMBO it is then.

Slainte

SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'

Quick Reply