New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Smooth Brew Day Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Neomich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smooth Brew Day Today

I've only done a few AG batches and today was definitely the smoothest brew day I've had. I hit my SG right on the mark, everything was timed well and didn't have any major hiccups. I still think I could shave 45-60 minutes off my time if it wasn't so windy outside blowing my flame around so much. I think I'll try brewing in the garage next time and move the vehicles out to the street to see if that helps. It really shouldn't take 45 minutes to get my strike water to temp on a 175,000 btu turkey fryer.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It usually takes me about 45 minutes to heat 10 gallons to 170 degrees with my NG setup. I've tried tweaking my setup here and there and the best time I can come up with is 7 hours from absolute start to absolute (including full cleanup) finish (for 10 gallons). Like my wife says "who cares how long it takes, your doing something you enjoy....so enjoy!"

Last edited by Yambor44; 09-20-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Neomich
Recipes 

I've been able to heat my water in like 20 minutes when there's no wind but that doesn't happen very often. I think if I get the cars out of the garage, it will help keep the flame on the pot and shorten the heat/boil time.

Either way, it was a pretty efficient brew day and nothing to complain about. Especially since I'm all done, got some grilled hot wings and sausage and waiting for the Cowboys game to start. Home brew and good grilled grub is the best!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply