Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Smoking malt and meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
dmbsteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Smoking malt and meat?

I want to start smoking my own malt at home, which I have read is pretty easy to do. I also read somewhere that some breweries are starting to actually smoke their malts with meat at the same time. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this and how it turned out. I would assume it would give the malt a more meaty smoke (bacon) taste, which is actually what I'm going for. Next time I get a hankerin for some pork shoulder, I think I'll throw a couple of pounds of malt in there with it and see what happens. Any thoughts?

I typically smoke meats between 200-225 deg F. Would that be too hot for the malt and potentially cause any problems with extraction during mash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I doubt the meat will do much for flavor to the malt. The smoke in smokers takes over. I really doubt you will smell much meat, but if you use a sauce you might get some of that aroma. Obviously, put the Malt on a higher rack than the meat.

I smoked a couple pounds of cheese yesterday and the rack has been sititing in soap water since. Pulled it out today and it still smelled of smoke.

A little goes a long ways....

Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It's interesting this thread came up, as I've been thinking about this exact same question. I'd been researching some concepts for a bacon beer, and came across some blurbs about a beer done as a one-off by Brooklyn Brewery, and the description is that it used malt smoked along with bacon at a smokehouse in TN. They also did something called "fat washing," which I don't fully understand, so I'm not sure how much of the bacon flavor came from that vs. the smoked malt.

I've got a good friend who is into smoking, and we've been thinking about giving this a try...It may be a while, but if we ever do go ahead and try this, I'll post back.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
dmbsteve
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense that smoking the meat wouldn't necessarily add any meat flavors to the malt. The smoke itself would be the predominant flavor.

biochemedic - I also remember reading about fat washing somewhere. I'll do some digging. Keep me posted on what you find as well. On a similar note, I saw a video on youtube from the Extreme Beer Fest last year, where a brewery had added bacon to the secondary. They called it "dry porking". Sounds delicious to me. You might want to research that as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbsteve View Post

biochemedic - ... They called it "dry porking". Sounds delicious to me.
Me too! And I had heard of this also, but the term was "dry hogging," which I think is hysterical (and which I prefer over the other term!) Check out this BYO piece featuring the idea...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
dmbsteve
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I might just have to make that recipe for the bacon beer. It would probably be good to substitute a couple of lbs of smoked malt for the pale, for just a touch of smoke to complement the bacon flavor. I'll probably just buy the rauchmalt the first time around and try smoking my own the next time. A smoked bacon porter sounds mighty tasty! That's the kind of beer I had in mind when I first posted this thread. Thanks for the link. Let me know what you end up doing with your bacon beer. In the article it talked about making a bacon extract with a liquor like vodka. I think that is the "fat washing" process that you were talking about. I'm sure that would leave less fat in the secondary than "dry hogging" which would make sanitizing the carboy afterwards a little easier.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3601 Times on 2221 Posts
Likes Given: 3105

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/cher...8/#post2854013

Old 05-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
dmbsteve
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just to update everyone...I brewed the "bacon beer" recipe that passedpawn posted in the link. Sounded like a winner, so I had to try it. I will be racking to secondary tomorrow. I'm going to experiment with about 1/2 gal by dry hogging with some bacon (oven cooked and added to secondary as described in the BYO article). I figured that way, I won't ruin a whole batch if it turns out too "meaty". My wife and friends think I'm insane. But I don't care! I can't wait for this beer to be ready!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3601 Times on 2221 Posts
Likes Given: 3105

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbsteve View Post
My wife and friends think I'm insane...
That's when you know you are on to something!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Boru
Recipes 

God's speed man. Subscribed to see the result...

Quick Reply