New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Smashed Oak Recipe....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
wjjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smashed Oak Recipe....???

Well I am doing my first SMASH recipe,

10lb 2-row
2lb toasted 2-row
Amarillo hops
1oz 60
1oz 30
1oz 15
1oz flameout
2oz dryhop

Notty yeast

Its more of a SMASH IPA but I just got some light toast oak chips that I wanted to use also. This is my first SMASH and Oaked brew. Any one ever tried something like this or have any comments or advise? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
TelemarkBrew
Recipes 

are you going to do a series of these to see the difference a hop or malt makes? if so i'd think you want to keep it as simple as possible and not toast that 2 row and not oak it.
now if you are just making a smash recipe to keep the ingredient list simple i have no issues with you recipe.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
wjjohnson
Recipes 

Yeah, I started off wanting to do other Smash recipes. I have a Munich Smash with all Muich malt and hallertau. I also wanted to do a Bock smash with all liberty hops (dont know how I am going to due that). So I guess just wanted to make a brew with the oak because I have never oaked a brew. I have some heavy toasted oak chips for a burbon barrel stout that am going to brew, I wanted to start off light with the light toast oak chips and the smash idea just cam to mind. I love amerill hop so I know what they are like in a brew. It just sounded like a good idea, I think I will still do it. I am not a but style follower, so anyways, thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply