Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > SMaSH IPA - Too Much Hops??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
ARLStein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal850 View Post
What yeast are you using? That seems like a lot of hops in a 1.066 beer unless the yeast is a low attentuator.

I'm sure it will still be delicious and if its overpowering there's nothing that lessens hop flavor better than time.
Sorry, somehow missed your comment. I pitched a dry pack of Safale 05. I plan on letting these two AG batches age a little... How long would you suggest to let it age if it is overpowering? I guess that depends on how overpowering it is though...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLStein

Are you saying Citra may be unpleasant as a bittering Hops? I hope not! haha. I would imagine it is a matter of personal preference..
I had made a rye pale with citra and simcoe and smelled a distinct cat pee smell. Others could smell it and some couldn't. When researching i found others that had the same experience. Still was one heck of a good brew and 5 gals was gone in two weeks. I'd say go for it, if you like the results then no one can tell you otherwise. Cheers!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLStein View Post

12lb Maris Otter
1oz Citra - 60 min (whole)
1oz Citra - 45 min (whole)
1oz Citra - 30 min (whole)
1.5oz Citra - 15 min (pellet)
1oz Citra - 10 min (pellet)
1.5oz Citra - 5 min (pellet)
3oz Citra - DH (pellet
The others have been helpful, but I thought I would just add a couple of thoughts. First, one of the best ways to gauge how much is "too much" is to look at the SG/IBU ratio. You have Beersmith so that's easy to do- it's right there for you. For most pale ales, a ratio of .600-.800 or so would be great. What that ratio does is compare your OG to your IBUs. A cream ale might be .260, for example, while an IPA might be 1.000. That's the key to a properly balanced beer.

Second, while I don't like citra much, especially by itself, others do. So if you like citra I think you'll get a good idea of the flavor by using it. However, any hops added before 20 minutes from the end of the boil will be bittering hops and not give you flavor or aroma of the noted tropical fruit flavor of citra. I'd keep that in mind for next time, and hop differently. You've basically got three ounces of bittering hops, which may distort the flavor and aroma.

For most APAs, I'd hop like this:
Bittering hops- 1oz Citra - 60 min (whole) (or to get around 25-30 IBUs from this addition)
Flavor hops- 1 oz hops 15 minutes
Aroma hops- 1 oz hops 5 minutes or flame out
Dryhop- 1 oz hops

I'd shoot for about a total of 45 IBUs in a 1.050-1.060 beer. For a higher OG, I'd go a tad higher on the bittering hops.

Edit- after I finished this, I saw the thread title and it's supposed to be an IPA! Sorry about the misundertanding.

For an IPA, I'd hop very similar, but get more IBUs at the 60 minute addition (45-50) and increase the flavor and aroma hops, and increase the dryhopping. I'd probably go this route for most IPAs:

1 oz bittering hops or 1.5 oz, to get to 45 IBUs from this addition
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 10 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes
2 oz dryhops

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
ARLStein
Recipes 

Thank you all for the information! I sure hope my beer doesn't smell like cat pee - my SWMBO would not like that very much haha.

I've heard of a few hops having terrible flavors for the first few weeks and then changing completely to very pleasant flavors once aged a little.

Any suggestions for a particular Hop to match with a Maris Otter SMaSH - for this weekend?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I want to do a Willamette smash with maris otter, maybe you could beat me to it. Call it "Have you met Willamette? "

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
ARLStein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The others have been helpful, but I thought I would just add a couple of thoughts. First, one of the best ways to gauge how much is "too much" is to look at the SG/IBU ratio. You have Beersmith so that's easy to do- it's right there for you. For most pale ales, a ratio of .600-.800 or so would be great. What that ratio does is compare your OG to your IBUs. A cream ale might be .260, for example, while an IPA might be 1.000. That's the key to a properly balanced beer.

Second, while I don't like citra much, especially by itself, others do. So if you like citra I think you'll get a good idea of the flavor by using it. However, any hops added before 20 minutes from the end of the boil will be bittering hops and not give you flavor or aroma of the noted tropical fruit flavor of citra. I'd keep that in mind for next time, and hop differently. You've basically got three ounces of bittering hops, which may distort the flavor and aroma.

For most APAs, I'd hop like this:
Bittering hops- 1oz Citra - 60 min (whole) (or to get around 25-30 IBUs from this addition)
Flavor hops- 1 oz hops 15 minutes
Aroma hops- 1 oz hops 5 minutes or flame out
Dryhop- 1 oz hops

I'd shoot for about a total of 45 IBUs in a 1.050-1.060 beer. For a higher OG, I'd go a tad higher on the bittering hops.

Edit- after I finished this, I saw the thread title and it's supposed to be an IPA! Sorry about the misundertanding.

For an IPA, I'd hop very similar, but get more IBUs at the 60 minute addition (45-50) and increase the flavor and aroma hops, and increase the dryhopping. I'd probably go this route for most IPAs:

1 oz bittering hops or 1.5 oz, to get to 45 IBUs from this addition
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 10 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes
2 oz dryhops
To be honest, I need to really learn the Beersmith software. I don't have it figured out too much aside from entering recipes and checking the estimated gravities, etc. It doesn't help that half the screen on my lapton doesn't work! Thanks for the information on SG/IBU ratios.. definitely something I will now research.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
metal850
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLStein

Sorry, somehow missed your comment. I pitched a dry pack of Safale 05. I plan on letting these two AG batches age a little... How long would you suggest to let it age if it is overpowering? I guess that depends on how overpowering it is though...
Assuming your bottle hop flavor tends to mellow on the order of months. I would say 3 months or more if its really overpowering.

As to another mo smash I would suggest Columbus or amarillo both are awesome!
Kegged:

Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
ARLStein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank85 View Post
I want to do a Willamette smash with maris otter, maybe you could beat me to it. Call it "Have you met Willamette? "
haha, I like the sound of that.. Maybe I'll give it a shot if my LHBS has them in stock..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLStein View Post
Any suggestions for a particular Hop to match with a Maris Otter SMaSH - for this weekend?
I LOVE amarillo with MO. That's been my favorite SMaSH.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
ARLStein
Recipes 

I do bottle.. definitely want to keg at some point, but definitely not there yet. I'll probably taste test a six pack a week after the first 3 weeks in bottles.. then keep the rest and see what a good 3 months do.

Quick Reply