Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > a small beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default a small beer

I finally did a 1 gallon batcg AG last nite, it was interesting. I mashed a lb of pilsner, and added 1/4 lb of dme that was getting old. Made 2 half ounce hop additions using Saaz. I made a mistake on my volume as I did boil for 45 minutes and didn't realize how much boil loss there would be. Had to add top off water and it brought the OG down to 1.045. I used 1/2 pack of dry yeast...have no idea what I will do with the other half.
It rained all day yesterday and I don't have a garage and really wanted to brew. Also had some mini-kegs that I wanted to use for something so sanitized one and used it for a 5 liter fermenter. The recipe is just a hodge podge of ingrediants but it will make beer and I will drink it. Next time I will be more organized.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

to use the other half of the yeast packet make a starter with it and use it for your next brew whatever the size and strength....

Old 08-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

In my experience, boil losses seem to be about the same regardless of starting boil volume.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply