Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
HBDrinker008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default small batches

I have done a number of grains plus extract and did my first partial mash a couple weeks ago and got intrigued about all grain. I dont have the room or equipment to go all grain but was thinking about doing some small ~2.5 gallon batches to try some things out and dabble in all grain. I was thinking of making a few batches or single hop IPA with this recipe.

5 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs medium crystal 40-60 L

with a variety of single hops for each batch to develop a pallate for the different hops and fine tune my tastes and an american ale yeast like wyeast 1056 or something.

Would there be any adverse affects to the quality of doing such a small batch other than time and effort vs reward?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nope, go for it! i've been doing 1 gallon batches. i converted a 2 gallon igloo to an MLT with a SS braid, and i have 6 1 gallon jugs. I'm doing it for the same reason you give; so i can experiment with learning about flavors, etc. i've been playing with learning the flavor of different malts lately. i'll mash a lb of 2row with 1/2 a lb of a specialty malt, lightly hop it with something basic like cascade, and then bottle a 6 pack of it. i don't mind throwing out the 40 or so ounces that i don't bottle. once i've finished enough different malts i'll sit down and have a tasting. a beer made with 33% honey malt, or aromatic malt might not be the best tasting beer in the world, but tasting it compared to other beers will accomplish what i need. i'm sure i'll eventually do the same thing with single hop APA's just to get a grasp on hops.

i also routinely do 3 gallon batches as my standard batch size. i've been very experimental with my recipes lately and i only have 6-8 all grain batches under my belt, so i figured why waste so much on ingredients when you're brewing a recipe that's not proven. once i'm happy with the results i can easily ramp up to 5 or 10 gallons. good luck!

Last edited by SenorWanderer; 11-01-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I figure this will scratch my AG itch and give me some insight until I am able to purchase equipment and dive in head first.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDrinker008
Thanks for the reply. I figure this will scratch my AG itch and give me some insight until I am able to purchase equipment and dive in head first.
Go do it. I did the same thing too and have decided that light colored hoppy beer is what I like. 8lb 2 row and 1 lb Munich make a nice beer with Hallertau Tradition and Saaz. I also like the same malt combo with 2 oz Cascade and 1oz Amarillo per 5 gallons although I have been making 10 gallon batches.

The hardest part is the waiting and so once you start just keep making more. When you find out how good it is you will want more. More is good.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
CrankyOldLibrarian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Since I am an apartment AG brewer, I picked up a couple 3 gallon plastic buckets from AHS, and have been happily brewing 3 gallon batches. Every once in a while I want more beer for my efforts so I just brew a partial mash.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldLibrarian
Since I am an apartment AG brewer, I picked up a couple 3 gallon plastic buckets from AHS, and have been happily brewing 3 gallon batches. Every once in a while I want more beer for my efforts so I just brew a partial mash.
Im in the same boat... except I use 3 gallon carboys. Been thinking of buying the new 3 gallon Better Bottles (square ones).

Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how much grain will fit in your 2 gallon cooler with 1.5qt/lb?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian
how much grain will fit in your 2 gallon cooler with 1.5qt/lb?

From my research figure 2# of grain per gallon in cooler size. (example: mine is a 3 gallon cooler so I have mashed 6# of grain)

Old 11-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
sixtyten
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would anyone like to share any successful 3 gallon recipes???? I'm sticking with 3 gallon recipes for now to get the all-grain process down.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

couldn't you divide all of the ingredients for a 5 gallon recipe by 5 and then multiply by 3. I guess that might get a little complicated.
-
I converted a 2 gallon cooler into a mash tun a while ago and never got around to brewing with it.
I normally brew 10 gallons but I have to store all of my supplies and it is a real pita to get all of my supplies out of storage.
I need to brew more beer so 3 gallon stove top batches should be ideal but Im not sure how well a 2 gallon cooler will work for that size batch. I think I might have to mash twice for 3 gallons. On the upside the pitch rate will be perfect and it would make about enough to pitch a whole 10 gallon batch I think.

Quick Reply