Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Small Batch BIAB question about O.G.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
harebearva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Small Batch BIAB question about O.G.

Hi all. I'm planning my first All grain BIAB. I've done several partial mashes but I'm going all out this time. I'm brewing a Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Clone. I have to do 2 to 2.5 gallon batches due to lack of space at home. From all that I've read, One should add about a 1/2 pound of extra grain to account for efficiency loss in BIAB, Do you guys find this necessary?

My question is that I'm trying to brew to style which means my ABV should be around 5.5 to 5.9 for this beer but with the extra half pund of base malt, Qbrew says I'm close to 7 ABV.

SHould I just go with it and see what my post boil gravity is and if I want to stay in style, add water to bring down the ABV, or is a 1/2 to 1 percent ABV not enough to worry about if I do indeed get an amazing efficiency and go over 5.9 ABV?

I think I'm splitting hairs here, but I guess it's all about the learning process and finding my groove.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

What are you using to crush/grind the grain? With my Corona style grinder set really fine I regularly reach or exceed 80% efficiency so I have to reduce the amount of pale malt to get to the proper OG. If you buy grain already crushed you may need the extra grain as it won't be crushed as fine and you won't be able to convert/extract all the sugars.

I'd say make it as the recipe says and measure the OG after the boil. Too low, boil it down some more an make note of that deficiency. Too high, add a bit of water or just leave it a bit high.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
harebearva
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
What are you using to crush/grind the grain? With my Corona style grinder set really fine I regularly reach or exceed 80% efficiency so I have to reduce the amount of pale malt to get to the proper OG. If you buy grain already crushed you may need the extra grain as it won't be crushed as fine and you won't be able to convert/extract all the sugars.

I'd say make it as the recipe says and measure the OG after the boil. Too low, boil it down some more an make note of that deficiency. Too high, add a bit of water or just leave it a bit high.
I let my LHBS grind it for me, I'm sure they give me me a grind that would be more applicable for a standard mash tun setup. I may see if they can go a bit finer. On my partial mashes using that grind, I've calculated my efficiency at around 70%, although I must admit I've only done a couple of partial mashes and I have forgotten to do a mash out at 170 for ten minutes. That may improve my efficiency a bit as well if I include it.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply