Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > small all grain batch question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Eddiebosox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default small all grain batch question

I am in the process of going all grain. I am simply looking around for the cheapest stainless steel brewpot and propane burner. I have everything else, including a wort chiller and a 10 gallon rubbermaind converted cooler.

I wanted to start now with my existing 3 gallon pot and do a ‘mini” all grain batch of about 2 gallons. I figured it'd be better to make all my rookie mistakes that way and save money.

My question is:

Would using the 10 gallon Rubbermaid converted cooler as a mashtun for such a small amount affect temperatures? It would leave most of the cooler empty except for the small amount of grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've done a small batch like that in a 13 gal square cooler with no issues. If you're concerned use a higher water to grain ratio to get more thermal mass in your cooler.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Would it help to start the mash in a pre-heated cooler? (Pre-heat the cooler with a couple gallons plain water at temp for 5-10 minutes.)

Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvIPA View Post
Would it help to start the mash in a pre-heated cooler? (Pre-heat the cooler with a couple gallons plain water at temp for 5-10 minutes.)
It doesn't matter as long as you hit your mash temp. If it is easier to do so by pre-heating your mash tun then do it. If you don't hit your mash temp perfectly you can adjust by adding hot or cold water.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Understood, thanks! I'm a newb also about to go PM & AG. Hope I'm not thread hijacking here!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you might want to invest in some anti-foam chemicals with a small pot like that, even a smaller batch is going to be a tight fit.
And whenever you do buy a bigger kettle, go ahead and get a 10 gallon pot - don't even fool around with anything smaller if you want to do 5 gallon batches.

Small batches are a good way to get started though - I still do some small batches on the stove and I have mashed those in a 10 gallon cooler. As long as you preheat it and keep the lid closed you will be fine

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Quick Reply