Smack Pack Smacked Early, Starter Revival?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought everything I needed to make two beers, a brown and a hefe, except that I accidentally left the hops for the hefe off the order. I made the brown, and a week or two later, I notice that the smack pack for the hefe is all swollen in the fridge. It must have gotten jostled around or hit when loading groceries or something.

Anyway, its been like that for a week or two by now, and I'd like to brew this baby on Sunday. Do I need to buy new yeast or will I be fine so long as I get it going again with a starter?

Thanks!

Use a starter, it should be fine. I've done this a few times and its always come out fine. (Its probably fine as it is, but a starter can't hurt)

I've done this as well, Just pull it out a few hours before pitching. I didn't use a starter (wasn't something I'd done yet at that point) and my beer was fine.

Back