New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Slotted copper manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
DesertBrew
You're not my type
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Default Slotted copper manifold

Building my manifold and I've seen web sites where the slots are up or the slots are down? I'd think down would be the "cleaner" method with less likelyhood of clogging but on John Palmers site he has a picture with the slots facing up?

Which is it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Building my manifold and I've seen web sites where the slots are up or the slots are down? I'd think down would be the "cleaner" method with less likelyhood of clogging but on John Palmers site he has a picture with the slots facing up?

Which is it?

I've always seen them down, and it makes sense to eliminate the possibility of a stuck mash....

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My mash tun has a 15" ss braided hose around the bottom. I've yet to use it, but it others have had success with this "easy" mash filter.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
My mash tun has a 15" ss braided hose around the bottom. I've yet to use it, but it others have had success with this "easy" mash filter.
Yea, I contemplated using that concept but opening up my 'plumbing supply container' in the garage I pretty much had everything to do the copper manifold but a couple pieces so went that route.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:

That's what I have too, but if my efficiency continues to suffer I'm going to try a manifold next.

Next time I brew I'm going to concentrate on my crush, and some other things, because I'm not convinced it is the stainless braid.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Yea, I contemplated using that concept but opening up my 'plumbing supply container' in the garage I pretty much had everything to do the copper manifold but a couple pieces so went that route.
Hey, if you have it on hand in the garage use it. Orrelse, does copper need to be soaked in the vingar:hp solution like the brass or just boiled?

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Hey, if you have it on hand in the garage use it. Orrelse, does copper need to be soaked in the vingar:hp solution like the brass or just boiled?

Nope, at least from what I know. Copper is completely safe from what I've read. It actually contains natural yeast nutrients!
I'm hardly an expert though--a good search on the web might find a definitive answer. I researched it lightly until I read that copper contained yeast nutrients, and then decided it was safe!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

Not an expert here and not basing this on experience, but I have been doing massive ammounts of research in preperation of going AG. I'm going slots down although I have also seen it done both ways.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Slots go DOWN. Let your mind work on this one and the logical answer is the correct one. I've never figured out why people point the slots up. Not only do you get the weight of the grain bed pushing down on the slots but you also increase the deadspace below the manifold slightly. You could certainly make it work with the slots up...but why? I can swim with a 20 pound weight on my back, but it's a lot easier without it.

The vinegar and hydrogen peroxide treatment is to remove surface lead from brass parts. The lead is in the brass to enhance machinability. After machining, there is a small amount of lead sort of "smeared" on the surface which can be removed through a short soak (just a few minutes) in 2 parts vinegar and 1 part H2O2. Commercial copper tubing and pipe has no lead in it so this treatment is unecessary, but there is likely some processing lubricants/oil/dirt etc. on the surface that should be cleaned off with a brush or a soak in a cleaning solution like PBW or TSP.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
Slots go DOWN. Let your mind work on this one and the logical answer is the correct one. I've never figured out why people point the slots up. Not only do you get the weight of the grain bed pushing down on the slots but you also increase the deadspace below the manifold slightly. You could certainly make it work with the slots up...but why? I can swim with a 20 pound weight on my back, but it's a lot easier without it.
Yep, my mind was working just fine but when I saw palmer's picture it was a WTF moment...

I seem to be having a hell of a time coming up with a good seal for the copper thru the cooler. I ended up making a square manifold out of 1/2 copper that T's off to more 1/2 copper thru the cooler. I initially tried a 7/8 stopper but drilling that was a failure/trashed it for a 1/2 copper insert. Next was a male outside / female inside thread connector with rubber washers. Got to get better/bigger washers or another new idea. I'd prefer the 3/8 reduction on the outside but... Anyone have "do this" recommendations I'd appreciate it else I'll figure it out with more visits to the hardware store...

Quick Reply