Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Slight hiccup on first AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I just want to nip the caramelization issue in the bud so there isn't misinformation.

USUALLY, in a wort boil, especially a full AG boil, only Miallard reactions are happening.

Caramelization only happens above 300*F. It is 230*F for fuctose, but there is little or no fructose in wort.

Both reactions are similar. They are both forms of non-enzymatic browning. The Maillard reaction is a reaction between an amino acid and sugar molecule. Caramelization is an oxidative reaction between two sugar molecules.

Sorry for the aside.
Thank you. I honestly couldnt remember the term used but knew that they were similar and that it did cause a browning (and assumed flavor difference with it). Glad you clarified that for me

It was actually a really good porter in the PM version, so i'm just hoping it turns out just as good.

Last edited by riored4v; 03-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghack View Post
I always shoot to be a little low. You can always add a half-gallon or whatever to the fermenter.

I kept track of boil off rates and they were pretty inconsistent; too many variables I guess.
I've usually gone for 14%-ish and have been pretty close, but since it was colder out i tried and for 16% and it just didnt work out this time.

oh well.. brew and learn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply