Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > skunk in the primary
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
mcginness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default skunk in the primary

hi all,

this is my first post but i've been lurking for a bit.

i have a batch in my primary that is giving off a real strong skunk smell. i pitched the yeast on friday, two days ago, the lag was about 6 hours. i used some of the slurry from my last batch (lager) as the starter.

the recipe was
12lbs of lme
4 lbs crystal malt
4 oz hallertau hops (hole)
6.5 gallons at completion
4 gallon boil, with a 2.5 gallons of boiled and neer frozen spring water to cool wert down to pitching temp. and a cold sink bath to cool down the 4 gallons of wert in the pot. i had it to 80 deg. in 30 min or so. its fermenting at 58 degrees now.

i used all my normal sanatary methods. never had a beer give off this kind of stink before.

any ideas?

thanks

__________________
mcginness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,114
Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginness View Post
hi all,

this is my first post but i've been lurking for a bit.

i have a batch in my primary that is giving off a real strong skunk smell. i pitched the yeast on friday, two days ago, the lag was about 6 hours. i used some of the slurry from my last batch (lager) as the starter.

the recipe was
12lbs of lme
4 lbs crystal malt
4 oz hallertau hops (hole)
6.5 gallons at completion
4 gallon boil, with a 2.5 gallons of boiled and neer frozen spring water to cool wert down to pitching temp. and a cold sink bath to cool down the 4 gallons of wert in the pot. i had it to 80 deg. in 30 min or so. its fermenting at 58 degrees now.

i used all my normal sanatary methods. never had a beer give off this kind of stink before.

any ideas?

thanks
Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures does stink. I've never heard that's it like a skunk smell, but sulfury and strong.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,224
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Dude! RDWHAHB! Your beer is going to stink from the get go. Yeast does pretty funky things to beer and smells bad during the process. Leave it alone for 3-4 weeks (no peeking) and let it do its thing. Im sure that after this when you go to bottle it, your sample will taste like beer. Very green beer, but Im sure you will be surprised
-Me

__________________

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

JoeMama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,224
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I just looked at your ingredient list as well. Wow, that looks like a heavily hopped/malted beer for that volume. I would let it sit for some time to mellow out.
-Me

__________________

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

JoeMama is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
mcginness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
I just looked at your ingredient list as well. Wow, that looks like a heavily hopped/malted beer for that volume. I would let it sit for some time to mellow out.
-Me
yes, that's true. i had some extra crystal malt that i forgot to add to the last batch so i used it in this one. as for the hops, i thought it might help to ballance the extra malt. a tasty experiment. i hope.

i'll let it lager in the garage in a secondary for a month two and condition in the bottle as well.

Quote:
Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures does stink. I've never heard that's it like a skunk smell, but sulfury and strong.
i'll see if i cant cool it down a bit. the garage is in the 35-45 deg. range.

thanks for the input fellas.
__________________

Last edited by mcginness; 12-21-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added text
mcginness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Deacon240
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 271
Default

My first brew had a really skunky smell in the primary, came out not skunky at all. RDWHAHB

__________________
Two Raven Brewery
[Is finally brewing again!]

Primary1: Envy - Green Tea Wheat (4/11/09)
Secondary: Schwarzbier Kit (1/11/09)
Bottle Conditioning: None ATM
Drinking: None ATM
Up Next: Lemon Honey Pilsner (est. unknown)
Deacon240 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,466
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Nobody's mentioned this, but has the beer been in sunlight at all? Isomerized hop oils and UV radiation don't mix, they turn into the same chemical that comes out of a polecat's ass. That's why Corona has a skunk smell to it.

58º is fine for primary fermentation for lagering.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
mcginness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Nobody's mentioned this, but has the beer been in sunlight at all? Isomerized hop oils and UV radiation don't mix, they turn into the same chemical that comes out of a polecat's ass. That's why Corona has a skunk smell to it.

58º is fine for primary fermentation for lagering.
it did not get much exposure to sunlight. i have a towel covering the carboy. i did use some polecat's ass extract in my last batch. so maybe there's some residual.

all and all i'm not too worried about the stink. i was just curious about potencial causes for my yeast's farts to smell so skunky.
__________________
mcginness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skunk Attack! Cheaton General Beer Discussion 11 11-05-2009 07:24 PM
Smells like skunk! KayaBrew General Beer Discussion 6 05-25-2009 05:00 PM
Skunk Kilburnj Equipment/Sanitation 7 10-18-2008 03:15 PM
Control of the skunk!!! tdavisii All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-14-2008 06:40 PM
Old Speckled SKUNK! Zymurgrafi Commercial Brew Discussion 15 09-12-2007 07:43 PM