Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Simcoe SMaSH/IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
slothorentropy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Simcoe SMaSH/IPA

Evening, friends,

I'm scheming on a brew tomorrow that's going to involve some combination of ~12lbs Fawcett Optic from Northern Brewer and a bunch of Simcoe I snagged at Listermann Brew Supply in Cincy this evening (they have a couple of boxes right now, though there's a 5oz limit per customer, I think). I've been wanting to brew something with Simcoe since I learned its profile a few months ago. Unfortunately, that coincided with the shortage. I grabbed the Optic on a whim and have heard good things about it as a base malt, in terms of flavor and aroma.

The initial plan was for a SMaSH with Nottingham and a healthy amount of late-boil additions of the Simcoe, but after reading around a little about other SMaSH recipes on HBT, it seems like maybe going with the base malt alone would leave me with too much of a good thing on the hop side. I picked up a pound each of 60L and 80L crystal and am toying now with the notion of doing a more straight-ahead Simcoe IPA. Or maybe doing two smaller mashes and two separate boils, one SMaSH, one IPA.

ANYWAY. Just wondered what kind general reactions there were out there to an Optic/Simcoe SMaSH. Any and all comments from the peanut gallery appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've never used optic, so I would say to go with the SMaSH. That way you can get the flavor of it by itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

A SMaSH almost always sounds appealing to me. Base malt alone can easily make an interesting beer as long as you use enough of it to match the hop charge.

SMaSH is a great way to remove the distractions of recipe complications and highlight your process and quality of ingredients.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
slothorentropy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I've noticed you rep the SMaSH a lot! Any tips for a first timer? Is 12lbs gonna do it against the Simcoe? Any advice on the hop additions, like if I even need a bittering addition?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do it. I did a Simcoe SMaSH with Maris Otter and it was fanfockingtastic. 0.75 oz at 60, 15, 10, 5 and 0 + 2 Oz dry hop. 13 lbs MO.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i did a simcoe smash where i roasted some of the 2 row on a baking sheet, (as per summit smash recipe on here). went thru the keg in 5 hours after it was tapped... sooo tasty

Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothorentropy
Any tips for a first timer?
Pay attention to mash pH, as with any beer but especially when using all pale malt.

After brewing a few beers with intentionally lowish bitterness, I find that they don't really satisfy me. On small systems, it's hard to get IBUs to stay in suspension as evidenced by the IBU ceiling experiment in recent episodes of Basic Brewing, plus aging reduces hoppiness of all kinds. Hence, I say don't be too chintzy with hops. Using Rager and my equipment, I've found 1:1 BU:GU to be a nice place to put a normal gravity beer, but obviously target style will change that (like Munich Helles vs. AIPA). Hops promote head retention and lace, too.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
slothorentropy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racking this to secondary for a week or two of dry-hopping right now. Tastes so good I could drink it flat, right as it is, but I'm going to see if I can restrain myself. Not much of a nose on it at the moment, but DAMN is it delicious. All that piney, nuggety Simcoe actually balances really well the Optic malt, which I'd describe as nuttier and richer than your standard American 2-row. *Really* happy with this one, which incidentally is the first truly temperature-controlled beer I've made--kept this guy at a steady 68F or so for the first week with a swamp cooler and frozen water bottles.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
shecallsmeblue
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm glad your first SMaSH went well for you. I find them to be some of my most enjoyable beers. I really miss my MOFuggles ale...Lol.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
brian74
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm about to do a Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH. Anyone done one with vienna?

AKA Brewass

Quick Reply