Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Simcoe Hop replacement for double IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
DawnofthWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Simcoe Hop replacement for double IPA

I have never done an all grain batch, though my friend is coming over in a few weeks to basically show me the ropes. I want to do an IIPA but my lhbs doesn't have Simcoe hops. Should I be looking for another hop of the same alpha acid or flavour profile? There is a brew 365 chart that recommends Northern Brewer hops (which I can get) as a substitute but the AA's are 4% lower than Simcoe hops. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want something high in AA's and with a piney flavor, I'd recommend Chinook. I think it's a great hop for bittering, flavor and aroma and the best part is there's no protections on them so they always seem to be available.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1104 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

My LHBS has them available, but not sure if they ship international. You could use the Northern Brewer and adjust for the difference in AA if that is easier for you. The Chinook sounds good too. Either way, it will be beer and probably damn fine at that.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think Summit is the closest to Simcoe...it isn't quite as piney but it has a powerful aroma like Simcoe. Personally I do not like Chinook as a Bittering hop for a big hop beer, it gets a little too harsh IMPO.
The best IIPA bittering hops in my opinion are Columbus and Magnum, with Summit almost there...

Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoedBrew
I think Summit is the closest to Simcoe...it isn't quite as piney but it has a powerful aroma like Simcoe. Personally I do not like Chinook as a Bittering hop for a big hop beer, it gets a little too harsh IMPO.
The best IIPA bittering hops in my opinion are Columbus and Magnum, with Summit almost there...
This is pretty funny. I guess our tastes are opposite. I can spot an IPA bittered with Columbus a mile away and I've even sent a few of them back. I don't know what it is about that hop, Chinook and Columbus have about the same Cohumulone percentage, but beers made with them always seems harsh and astringent to me.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Headley_Lamarr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13 View Post
This is pretty funny. I guess our tastes are opposite. I can spot an IPA bittered with Columbus a mile away and I've even sent a few of them back. I don't know what it is about that hop, Chinook and Columbus have about the same Cohumulone percentage, but beers made with them always seems harsh and astringent to me.
I'm trying to learn more and more about hops. IPAs bittered with Warrior seem to have the same astringency that, to my palate, is very off-putting.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headley_Lamarr

I'm trying to learn more and more about hops. IPAs bittered with Warrior seem to have the same astringency that, to my palate, is very off-putting.
Usually people say cohumulone is the reason for astringency in bittering hops but there's got to be more to it. Of course it may not be the hop at all and just the brewing procedure causing the problems. One of these days, I'll have to do a few SMaSH brews with high and low cohumulone hops and plot their perceived astringency against their alpha acid compositions to see if I can find a correlation but I have a lot of beers on my list before I do that.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I love the smoothness of Magnum for bittering, and I've heard a combination of Magnum and Summit can approximate Simcoe.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have tried to find a sub for simcoe. I have tried many combinations of different hop varieties and non have come close to tasting like simcoe. I'm beginning to believe there is just no good replacement for simcoe. But I am really picky so if I did find something close I'm sure it would not be good enough for me. Simcoes distinct flavor is so addicting I guess I need the real thing.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
joelrapp
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hopshack.com had some about a month ago. I took it up the you know what to get a lb. Quick shipping and good shipping rates though.

Quick Reply