Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Significance of Mash Temp???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
enginerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Significance of Mash Temp???

Caution: I'm about to stick my foot in my mouth.
I've read just about everything that I can get my hands on about conducting my mash and can't find info for what I'm looking for. (I know, I probably didn't look hard enough and enter EAC dialoge here)
Caution: I'm about to nerd out here - but hey, that's my style.
Everything I've read is very QUALitative about the differance between higher and lower mash temperatures. Can someone please help me out on something a little more QUANTitative.
I only have 4 AG batches under my belt, so I don't have enough first hand experience to be able to tell the differance between mash temps. But, I've got to believe that there are those of you out there that do.
I know that there are about a bizillion differant variables in play here and I certainly wouln't expect any reply to be dead nuts on. I was just hoping that someone might be able to give me some idea, like:

All things equal besides mash temp, a beer will go from 1.050 to 1.010 if mashed at 150, but only down to 1.014 if mashed at 154.

I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for any insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Sorry, I haven't read anything quantitative either. I think if there were formulas like you're after they would've programmed them into the brewing software already.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In addition to the difference of a mash at 150 F and 156 F, the thickness of the mash is another variable.

I believe, if you're mashing at 150 or lower, you want a thinner mash (1.50 qt/# - mashing higher likes a thicker mash of around 1.00 qt/#)

If you know what style of beer you're making, just use these rules.

Light, crisp beer = mash < 150 F
Heavy sweet beer = mash > 155 F

Not much more to it, unless you become a professional or just want to learn more about it.

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
enginerd
Recipes 

"I think if there were formulas like you're after they would've programmed them into the brewing software already."

I was thinking that too. I use Beersmith. I've tried changing the "mash profile" and it has no effect on the final gravity. Good thought, but I think I have to call no joy.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
enginerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer3401
In addition to the difference of a mash at 150 F and 156 F, the thickness of the mash is another variable.

I believe, if you're mashing at 150 or lower, you want a thinner mash (1.50 qt/# - mashing higher likes a thicker mash of around 1.00 qt/#)

If you know what style of beer you're making, just use these rules.

Light, crisp beer = mash < 150 F
Heavy sweet beer = mash > 155 F

Not much more to it, unless you become a professional or just want to learn more about it.
Yeah, I've read about mash thickness. If you want to talk variables, I'm sure we could go on for days. Yeast strain, ferment temp, phase of the moon....

Professional - I think not. I've got a job and besides I'm more of a beer drinker than maker. I just like making my own, that's all. The real motivation behind the question is really just to learn more and this is one of the holes I've found in the literature. I guess after getting more batches under my belt, I'll have all the feel for mash temp that I'll need.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Mash temp is more important than mash thickness; I'd stick with a 1.25 qt/lb (or thereabouts) ratio and experiment with the temperature for starters. I'd leave the thickness variable constant; most people feel they have enough control by changing temp without making thickness adjustments.

Beersmith, I know, won't take mash temp into account when calculating FG; all it does is use an assumed attenuation rate. IIRC, it won't even account for the use of simple sugars, which in effect are 100% fermentable. It's just not that sophisticated in this regard.

Technically, a higher mash temp isn't going to make the beer sweeter, per se; it'll make it thicker, but it's because there are more non-fermentable long-chain dextrines, which are pretty much tasteless. A beer's sweetness will usually derive from the use of crystal malts.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with you on temp versus thin/thickness. Just adding a new dimension of confusion to the thread.
Most authorities say using 1.25 qt/# is sufficient and a good ratio to use.
I guess I read too much.

I poop too much (Beavis)

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
enginerd
Recipes 

To be honest, I've never measured my water to grain ratio very carefully - probably because of what I've heard about the mash temp having a greater impact. I've gone by the feel of it - how my stir feels. I have been consistent though, so I think I'll stick with the method.

Interesting insight bird about the lack of flavor in long chains - I didn't realize that. That tidbit could change the whole way I look at formulating a recipe.

No worries about confusion 3401, "We're gonna need a bigger boat" (Brody)

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[quote=enginerd]Caution:
All things equal besides mash temp, a beer will go from 1.050 to 1.010 if mashed at 150, but only down to 1.014 if mashed at 154.
quote]

All things being equal, then, the sugars aren't broken down to simpler sugars as much as they will at a lower mash temperture because Beta Amalyse is denatured at 149f over 40 minutes or so.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Last edited by boo boo; 06-26-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd
I was just hoping that someone might be able to give me some idea, like:

I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for any insight.
You will have to figure it out for your system and recipe as there are too many variables some of which have already been mentioned. My recommendation is to brew a batch following the recipe and mash temp(s) provided and see what you get. When you brew it again adjust accordingly. Unless you are seeking extremes adjusting the temperature is likely the easiest to control with the most affect. I can give you an example from my experience while dialing in my system brewing Scottish 60/+ ales:

Mash Temp F.G
152 1.009
156 1.011
160 1.012

As the_bird said it affects body not sweetness for most beers. Really big beers it could affect the sweetness depending on your yeast and how well it can attenuate and ferment all the available sugar. Hope this helps

Quick Reply