New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sierra Neveda Colne- Hop schedule mess up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
mrgreenbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sierra Neveda Colne- Hop schedule mess up

This is my second batch and i decided to a Sierra Neveda colne. The receipe called for:

10lbs of 2 row
.75 lb of Caramel 60

.75 oz of Chinook (45min)
.75 oz of Perle (20min)
2 oz of Cascade (0 min)

Safale us05

However when I got my wort to boil I accidently put my 2oz of Cascade in. Realizing this after the fact I just figured that this will be my bittering hops and will need to readjust my hop schedule accordingly. So next I put .75oz of Chinook (45min) (correctly). Lastly I used German Perle in the last 2 min of the boil as my finishing hops + 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss (missed the timing on that one too).

Is this going to my beer tase bad?
Is it going to be anything like a Sierra Nevda?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
hpz937
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I doubt it will taste bad, i put this is beersmith and looks like your bitterness will be on the high-end with less hoppiness than the recipe calls for but should still be ok, you could try dry hopping it. I am a novice so, this is my un-educated guess

Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think that it will be pretty bitter, and certainly won't be a clone of SNPA. Who knows, you may stumble onto something that you love. One thing I would suggest is possibly dry hopping it to get some more Flavor and Aroma in there. Maybe with 1-2oz's of Cascade if you have it, or you could do a blend of Chinook and Cascade. Hope it turns out well for you.

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
mrgreenbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for your insight and ideas.

So still being new to this this is what I will do.

After 2 weeks I will rack over to a secondary and place 2oz of cascade in a nylon bag and place that in the secondary for another 2 weeks.
Then bottle the beer and wait 2 weeks. Then we shall see

Another question: Beersmith says to use 4.42oz of sugar when bottling, I was thinging on using 5oz will that make much of a difference? I don't want any bottle bombs.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
mrgreenbrew
Recipes 

In addition to my screw up what style of beer did I create is it still a Pale ale?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

I used to ignore priming calcs and prime with 5 OZ corn. My last 2 batches were waaaay over carbed. Finally figured out that the last of the jet dry had found its way out of the dishwasher. I use the dishwasher sanitize cycle to pre sterilize the bottles the night before. Now I use Mr. Malty carb calculator, Just plug in the style, and the sugar source batch size and batch temp and the priming quantity pops out the other end. FYI, my over carbed bottles were not overpressurized. Open a bottle and still get a little cart fart. Still trying to get my head around that.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

I think your plan is a good one. You should be good with 4.5-5oz of priming sugar, it just depends on how many volumes of carbonation you want in your beer. I carb all my beers to 2.5 volumes. When I bottled I always used about4.5oz of Corn sugar, give or take.

For style, technically your out of the Pale Ale range, just based on the IBU's, but that's just according to the spec's of the beer. I calculate your IBU's to be at 96, based on an OG of 1.055. But it really depends on what it tastes like, if it tastes like a Pale Ale, then it's a Pale Ale.

Primary #2:
Secondary:

Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
mrgreenbrew
Recipes 

I was thinking about re-using the yeast cake left in the bottom in my fermentor to brew another beer. I was thinking about doing the Sierra Neveda colne correctly this time or possible a Bells Oberon Clone.

Do you see any problems with this?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

People have a lot of success doing that, but you don't need the whole thing. I would suggest just using 1/2 to 1 cup of the cake for your next brew, depending on what your OG will be.

Just get the cake mixed up real well, then pour off what you need into a sanitized container. Then clean and sanitize your fermenter, Rack your wort and pitch the yeast. You should be good to go.

Primary #2:
Secondary:

Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
Mac951
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreenbrew View Post
This is my second batch and i decided to a Sierra Neveda colne. The receipe called for:

10lbs of 2 row
.75 lb of Caramel 60

.75 oz of Chinook (45min)
.75 oz of Perle (20min)
2 oz of Cascade (0 min)

Safale us05

However when I got my wort to boil I accidently put my 2oz of Cascade in. Realizing this after the fact I just figured that this will be my bittering hops and will need to readjust my hop schedule accordingly. So next I put .75oz of Chinook (45min) (correctly). Lastly I used German Perle in the last 2 min of the boil as my finishing hops + 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss (missed the timing on that one too).

Is this going to my beer tase bad?
Is it going to be anything like a Sierra Nevda?
Sounds like Good Beer to me. Might be a little off from Sierra Nevada, but it will be all your own and still BEER.

How about you tell us how it comes out?
-Mac

Quick Reply