The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sierra Nevada clone is showing weird yeast inconsistency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
czarsketch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sierra Nevada clone is showing weird yeast inconsistency

Hello!

I'm doing a 10gal batch of Nierra Sevada (from this recipe) and everything on brew day went smoothly, although I went a little light on mash water because I had to physically move my brew pot and didn't want to kill myself, so I ended with 9.0gal instead of 10gal.

My OG was: 1.044, which is close enough for rock n' roll. I split the batch between 2 6.5gal plastic fermenters, one with 5.25 gals, one with 3.75 gals. Noticing this mistake, I split the yeast (2 packets of rehydrated US-05) and pitched.

The 3.75gal fermenter fermented extremely vigorously and tapped out in 48 hours, and the 5.25gal is still going after 5 days. The gravity of the smaller fermenter was 1.004, so things seem to have gone OK (and it tastes great), but I'm really curious about why given proportionally similar pitch rates the larger fermenter is lagging so much? Is there a way to prevent this in the future?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
czarsketch
Recipes 

I should mention that this was done as a BIAB all-grain...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

How did you split the yeast? Unless using a scale with highly mixed yeast, it would be difficult to pitch it exactly.

What will be more interesting is to see if the final flavors vary. If so, you can always mix the batches together, commercial breweries do this all the time.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarsketch
Hello!

I'm doing a 10gal batch of Nierra Sevada (from this recipe) and everything on brew day went smoothly, although I went a little light on mash water because I had to physically move my brew pot and didn't want to kill myself, so I ended with 9.0gal instead of 10gal.

My OG was: 1.044, which is close enough for rock n' roll. I split the batch between 2 6.5gal plastic fermenters, one with 5.25 gals, one with 3.75 gals. Noticing this mistake, I split the yeast (2 packets of rehydrated US-05) and pitched.

The 3.75gal fermenter fermented extremely vigorously and tapped out in 48 hours, and the 5.25gal is still going after 5 days. The gravity of the smaller fermenter was 1.004, so things seem to have gone OK (and it tastes great), but I'm really curious about why given proportionally similar pitch rates the larger fermenter is lagging so much? Is there a way to prevent this in the future?
I'm not sure I'm clear either. Did you rehydrate the US-05 (actually not necessary) and then do a down the middle split or try to do a proportional split? If you split it down the middle, it makes sense whats happening because you have more yeast cells in the smaller batch and its done. The bigger one will finish too. So, really no worries.

Another thing is that whenever I rehydrated yeast (I only did it twice in a couple hundred batches) I noticed it got all stuck to the sides of my cup and unless I dunked the whole cup in my wort, i would have a lot of lost cells. So, I dunked. If you rehydrated 2 packs in one container, you my have gotten a disproportionate amount of cells in one vs the other even if you tried to make it even?

So, two containers or one?

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
czarsketch
Recipes 

I did a proportional split from a single container. I didn't dunk it, but I did rinse the container with sanitized cooled water. I guess you're right-I should just taste them. Thanks!

Quick Reply