Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Sid's One Vessel All Grain Brewing System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
sidbedi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sid's One Vessel All Grain Brewing System

Greetings! I am a longtime lurker on the forums; I have taken a lot from these pages, this is my go - to brewing website. I have a technique I have been using for the last six months that I want to share.

This is a simple refinement on a well known technique along with a few other tips and tricks. Using this system I can brew twenty gallons solo with two keggles, two propane burners, and a chiller. I use gravity to do all my transfers. Here is a video of the first half of the brew day along with the end product:

For the impatient, the heart of the technique is detailed starting around 4:30. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking!
Sid Bedi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nice movie!
I do a similar technique, but I am using an electric urn (30 l) so I usually go for 5-6 gallons.
I have developed a "partigyle" technique using a 10 l pot for the first runnings and also for a sidemash in the oven.
Might do a write-up on it, or convince my brother to help me make a film like yours.
Cheers!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
sidbedi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefattguy View Post
Nice movie!
I do a similar technique, but I am using an electric urn (30 l) so I usually go for 5-6 gallons.
I have developed a "partigyle" technique using a 10 l pot for the first runnings and also for a sidemash in the oven.
Might do a write-up on it, or convince my brother to help me make a film like yours.
Cheers!
Very cool, electric urns seem to be more popular for brewing on the other side of the pond. This system works great for electric brewing as well. Same thing, solo, ten gallon, all grain, one vessel batches. I use heatsticks for electric brewing but my goal is to have a controller driven system with the element plumbed into the keggle ready for the winter capable of ten gallon batches. I use two heatsticks to achieve the same thing right now.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That's a great set-up. I might have to try that one!

Hey I gotta tell ya. My beers went to another level when I started using a food grade RV hose. I had been making great beers for a while (in my opinion) but there was a weird flavor that I couldn't figure out. I tried everything. After about a yearly dealing with this, I filled a pint of water out of the tap And one out of my hose I fill the kettle with, BINGO! Beers have been better ever since!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nice video. Well done sir and madame.
I see the value in multiple bags... they do get heavy, especially on a 10 gallon batch.
A couple questions though:
Why cold water sparge? You already have the second pot (so it's really not a one-vessel brew), why not heat that up to 170 to get all the sugars?
Do you squeeze the bags at the end of your sparge?
What is your efficiency, and how consistent is it?
Thanks for sharing!

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hose water is cool, but you might want to get one of those white RV drinking water hoses. Green hoses seem to really funk up the taste of your water.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
sidbedi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
That's a great set-up. I might have to try that one!

Hey I gotta tell ya. My beers went to another level when I started using a food grade RV hose. I had been making great beers for a while (in my opinion) but there was a weird flavor that I couldn't figure out. I tried everything. After about a yearly dealing with this, I filled a pint of water out of the tap And one out of my hose I fill the kettle with, BINGO! Beers have been better ever since!
Jay1 and jfrizzell, thanks for the tip! This alone made posting this video worth it. I am going to get one of these before I brew next (maybe this weekend!). Also, thank you Jay1, you gotta try it. It's just so easy and there is very little barrier to doing a 10 gallon batch.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
acidrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
I see the value in multiple bags... they do get heavy, especially on a 10 gallon batch.
Why cold water sparge?
Why not heat that up to 170 to get all the sugars?
Thanks for sharing!
My Questions aren't worthy?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
sidbedi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
Why cold water sparge? You already have the second pot (so it's really not a one-vessel brew), why not heat that up to 170 to get all the sugars?
Thanks for sharing!
Of course they are, I had limited time when I was answering before, your questions required a bit more of a thorough answer. And thank you for the compliment on the video, it means a lot.

The cold water sparge is really just to get some extra sugar out of the mash without doing a ton of extra work. This way you don't need to be heating more water and you can do other things. It is an effort to find the best ratio of ease and efficiency, for me this fits the bill. I get a bit more efficiency with very little extra effort. In addition, if you have two people you can do this without another vessel with one person holding and one spraying. Lastly, you can skip this step altogether and sacrifice some efficiency. Grain is cheap in today's day and age.

Sometimes I squeeze the bags and sometimes I don't. I would rather do enough of a cold sparge to make up my volume. The bags are a bit hot right out of the mash and they hold heat for a while, so adding the cold water sparge step can help if you want to squeeze the bags.

The last time I brewed with this method my efficiency was spot on at around 75%. Without the sparge I would guess the efficiency might be 70%, but that is pure speculation. Unfortunately I have not had a working hydrometer for a while so I don't have any data about my efficiency consistency.

Thanks for the great questions acidrain! Keep them coming.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
acidrain
Recipes 

Wow, good efficiency!
Come to think of it, squeezing 170F grain bags... hurts.

Quick Reply