Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Should i use Cane sugar at all?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yup, it'll blow your bucket lid. 6 months in the bottle and it'll be awesome. Fantastic after 18 months.

No problem with white sugar in your Belgian, though I do agree there's an upper limit to the amount added.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

I had a Dogfishead Raison D'Etre clone that called for belgan candi sugar. Did it twice, came out great. Next time I'm going to try using molassas instead. FYI, molassas, white cane sugar, light and dark brown sugar are all the same sugar molecule. The difference is in how much impurities are processed out. The impurities give it the flavor you're looking for. The darker, the more flavor. I believe belgian candi is beet sugar rather than cane sugar.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 

Light belgian candi sugar is a waste of fundage IMO. I just go white sugar substitution for the white candi sugar. Haven't tried the amber or darker candi sugar.

The Candi Syrup however is a different story. For the darker Dubbels and Dark Strongs, you can't beat the real D or D2 syrup that's sold in 1 lb jars. Well worth the added $6 to your brew. This really gives an authentic flavor thats really hard to get otherwise. I've tried some home made invert sugar on the stove that got close, but it's not quite there yet.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You're over 20% sugar, which is on the high end of normal for a tripel or BGS, and very very high for a BDSA. I suspect your beer will come out a bit thinner and more alcholic than you were expecting. Sugar, for the most part, is going to ferment completely out and not leave you with any body or flavor contribution. The belgian candi is the same way, except, as noted before, the darker syrups.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Honestly i was hoping for just more alcohol and nothing more so that is a win for me. I did a bel blond strong the next week and its more of a drink cause it tastes good beer. The bsda was just for the booze really.....

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
jwsquared
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
Just wondering if i screwed up my belgian strong dark ale by adding 2 cups of cane sugar to the boil? I also added 1 lb of belgian candy sugar.

Whats the thought?
Candy sugar is refined sucrose from sugar beets. Cane sugar is refined sucrose from sugar can. Assuming you are talking about the white varieties, they are chemically identical.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
solbes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
The bsda was just for the booze really.....
Say it aint so! When the bottles get good and dusty, mark off another 6 months on the calendar. Then I bet you really enjoy this batch.
Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles

Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Refined (white) sugar is refined sugar, no matter the source. It should taste virtually the same whether its beet or cane sugar. The yeast will see either source the same...FOOD!!!

Now, less refined sugars or caramelized sugars are another story. Then there are nuances that can make it through to the beer.

Regular cane sugar is fine for increasing alcohol and dryness while reducing body in beer.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Oh, also, my comments before were wrong. I read that OP added two additional POUNDS of sugar, when in fact he just added 2 cups extra. You're probably fine, but yes, refined sugar is refined sugar is refined sugar. I use cane sugar in all my belgians, IIPAs, and for bottling.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

You are fine.. 2 cups of sugar weigh about. 14 oz so you added less than 2 lbs.

Plain sugar is fine. As another poster mentioned something like turbinado does add a slight flavor addition.

Let this beer age and you will be very happy.

Quick Reply