Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Should I repitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Jonnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Should I repitch?

So about 4.5 weeks ago I made a Chimay Grand Reserve PM and kind of messed up, but didn't realize it until last night. I checked the SG and it finished out at about 1.03 which seemed really high, but I went ahead and kegged it anyway figuring I could secondary in there if needed. Once I finished kegging I realized that I must have underfilled the primary (I primaried in my unmarked glass carboy for the first time) by a fair amount because I was about 1/2 gallon shy in my keg.

I put the recipe from the kit into BTP to guess my SG (yeah, basically I half assed this brew because I was in a hurry and now am paying for it) and I am guessing that based on my typical efficiency and the estimated reduced volume I was at about 1.101 SG. That puts me at about 9.5% abv and 70% apparent attenuation.

The sample tasted fine, so I am afraid of messing with it, but I don't want it to be so sweet that it isn't drinkable.

What would you guys do (except for going back to brew day and not being an idiot)?

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well you could try Bean-o. I will break down the sugars more thus making them fermentable. If your OG was that high though I would say that it's not too unexpected for it to crap out around 70%. I say leave though and learn from this for next time.

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 09-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's what I was thinking. I will chalk this up as an expensive learning experience, either way its going to be beer...It really isn't too far from the style even with a 1.03 fg either, so no big deal.

I will try and remember to report back here in a few weeks after it has conditioned to see how good it turned out.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Quick Reply