New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Should I Rack this to Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default Should I Rack this to Secondary?

Its been 10 days since I put my last beer in primary. I had a pretty violent fermentation for the first 3-5 days or so and now it still bubbling away about every 20 seconds. I'm starting to get worried about leaving on the dead yeast for too long. What do you guys think?

Additional information:

Typical Hefe AG, heres a link to the recipe on BYO
http://www.byo.com/recipe/33.html

I did use the Wyeast 3068.

Also I had some problems with efficiency, and not nearly as bad as I had thought because I didn't adjust for temp on the hydrometer readings. So I ended up adding about 2 lbs of light DME. In the end my OG was 1.066, way off the target.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i personally would give it another week then bottle it. yer not close to having to worry about dead yeasties imo.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3856 Times on 2817 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I say if your s.g. is 1.018 or under, go ahead and put it in secondary if it's a convenient time to do it. But, you could leave it in primary, too, without any harm at all.

How's that for being helpful?

Seriously, no reason to worry about autolysis yet. I do secondary all my beers, so I move them around 1.018 or less, or about day 10 if I don't take s.g. readings. If you're still getting 3 bubbles a minute, you can decide what you want to do with it.

Quick Reply