Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Should I bottle this or dump it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
KNOTSANE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Should I bottle this or dump it?

I did a batch of Chocolate coffee stout about 8 or so months ago. I put it in the carboy in my spare bedroom where it has been. I got busy and lazy so I never got around to racking it on top of the coffee and bottling it up. My question is, is that long in the carboy a bad thing or not. I surely don't want to dump it, but I don't want to waste my time bottling it and have it suck. Have any of you been in this situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What's it taste like? It could be the best beer you ever made? Or it could be vinegar. We can't tell you, we're not able to psychically taste what's in your fermenter. Only you can taste it, and make that decision. Thinking even about throwing it out without bothering to taste it is plain silly.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

^ I bet it's delicious

Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
^ I bet it's delicious
Yeah, secondarying a stout for several months is nothing special. That's the point of a secondary, to bulk age a beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Stouts love age. It'll probably be fantastic. And +1 to what Revvy said... why would you even consider throwing it out without at least taking a sip??? Iit won't hurt you.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
KNOTSANE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, secondarying a stout for several months is nothing special. That's the point of a secondary, to bulk age a beer.
Well this is still sitting in the primary. Guess I will give it a taste then hopefully bottle them up and enjoy.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTSANE View Post
Well this is still sitting in the primary. Guess I will give it a taste then hopefully bottle them up and enjoy.
I've done 6 months in primary twice and the beers were fine. In fact one of my brew buddy's is a bjcp judge and one of his favorite beers of mine is one of those two. If there were flaws he would have pointed them out to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
brewmax25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it tastes good, which I bet it will, you can just use the fact it sat around for a while as a way to impress your friends. "This is my aged chocolate coffee stout... been aging for oooooh about 8 months now.)

On Deck : Mexican Lager, Pilsner, Oktoberfest

Quick Reply