Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Should brown malt and chocolate malt be milled?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Hound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should brown malt and chocolate malt be milled?

"Brewing for Dummies" says that high kilned malts should not be milled as they create a find grist that ends up as a dark brown/gray slimmy sludge in the boil kettle.

I'm brewing a brown porter, which has brown malt and chocolate malt in the mix. I bought the grains pre milled as that's the only way my home brew shop sells it. And yes ~I've gottne a dark brown sludge that blocks up muslin when I strain into the feermenter.

Should brown malt be milled or not? Likewise chocolate malt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I think brewing for dummies was written by dummies. You crush ALL your grains.

Any brown sludge (if it even existed) would eventually settle out like everything else.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Hound
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I think brewing for dummies was written by dummies. You crush ALL your grains.

Any brown sludge (if it even existed) would eventually settle out like everything else.
Thanks Revvy.

Dummies ohkish, I'll like to get Palmers ook, just that it's imperial only. Im looking for a good book in Metric if anyone can recomend it.

How do I preent the sludge getting into the boil? Recirculate more wort?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Don't worry about "sludge" or whatever. EVERYTHING settles out in the end. EVEN if you dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Just relax about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Don't worry about "sludge" or whatever. EVERYTHING settles out in the end. EVEN if you dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Just relax about it.
I always dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Isn't the murkier stuff chock full of good nutrients for the yeast? That's what I figured.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
I always dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Isn't the murkier stuff chock full of good nutrients for the yeast? That's what I figured.
There has been a lot of debate on that issue, but in general you are better off leaving the trub behind. However, if you don't, it really won't hurt your beer significantly.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
There has been a lot of debate on that issue, but in general you are better off leaving the trub behind. However, if you don't, it really won't hurt your beer significantly.
Hmm, I thought I kept up on most of the debates pretty well, but I guess I missed that (beyond a thread or two). I'll search it out later, though to date the beer has certainly been drinkable!

Quick Reply