shorter mash time = more flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I am making a smoked IPA today and will be using 2 lbs of cherry smoked malt. It smells incredible! Anyway, I want the smoke flavor to be pronounced in the beer. I have heard from some people that if you are using a malt purely for flavor it is best to only mash it for 30 mins or so. I guess the idea is similar to hops. I would never throw my Citra hops in for 60 mins and boil off all the aromatics when I could use them later in the boil and get more flavor from them. Does this apply to malts and mashing?

shorter mash time = less efficiency

as far as taste, no

generally you should mash for an hour to get max conversion

let the debate begin

I'm pretty sure the longer you mash a grain the more it will contribute it's flavors to the wort. Just my opinion..

Grains react differently than the hops. Flavors and colors from grains are enhanced by longer steeps/mashes. At least to a degree when the limits of extraction are reached.

The aroma and flavors of the hop come from the hop oils. The oils are insoluble and volatile. The characteristic flavors and aromas are lost to a large degree during long boils.

All of this makes sense. I was in a hurry and didn't read these posts before I brewed, but I mashed all of the smoked malt for the full hour anyway. We'll see how the finished beer is but the wort had tons of smoked flavor!

Word to the wise,smoked cherry malt is best used in under a pound for a five gallon batch.Used 1 pound in a porter that has been conditioned for over 2 months and it is still very strong and present.

Word to the wise,smoked cherry malt is best used in under a pound for a five gallon batch.Used 1 pound in a porter that has been conditioned for over 2 months and it is still very strong and present.

I LOVE smoke. BBQ, scotch, cheese, sausage and beer. I have never once had a beer that i thought was too smoky. If I was brewing it commercially I would have backed off a bit perhaps, but that's the beauty of homebrew.

I LOVE smoke. BBQ, scotch, cheese, sausage and beer. I have never once had a beer that i thought was too smoky. If I was brewing it commercially I would have backed off a bit perhaps, but that's the beauty of homebrew.

I should send you my smoked Saison. A pound of beech wood smoked malt was WAY too much for my tastes. I can't even drink it....

Agreed!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I should send you my smoked Saison. A pound of beech wood smoked malt was WAY too much for my tastes. I can't even drink it....

I would love to take some of that Smoked Saison off your hands! I have stuff to trade as well. I tried to PM but it said your box was full. Just PM me back or respond on this thread if you're interested.

Back