Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Serious DMS in Czech Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
najel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cooling it quickly is also important after the boil, as DMS keeps being produced while the wort is hot. So if you're not boiling, you're adding DMS (until you get below 100 F or something like that)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by najel View Post
Cooling it quickly is also important after the boil, as DMS keeps being produced while the wort is hot. So if you're not boiling, you're adding DMS (until you get below 100 F or something like that)
And make sure you don't cover the pot during the chill! I think the SMM to DMS reaction stops at 140 or under, so try to get to under 140 ASAP while chilling.

I'd either get two pots and split the boil, or boil outside on a propane burner. That would fix the DMS issue.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Keithww
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Look in to getting a 1000 watt bucket heater. I've read that some brewers use them to help the stove along.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
carter840
Recipes 

Sorry to bring this up again but I just had a glass of this lager. It's like drinking corn, simply undrinkable.

Someone mentioned using CO2 to strip the DMS. I know I would switch the CO2 to the dip tube side, but can anyone tell me how much CO2 I need to do this, and what pressure to push through it. The beer is already carbed and is currently cold. I am thinking about just tossing this batch, but if it can be saved...

Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #15
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
Someone mentioned using CO2 to strip the DMS. I know I would switch the CO2 to the dip tube side, but can anyone tell me how much CO2 I need to do this, and what pressure to push through it. The beer is already carbed and is currently cold. I am thinking about just tossing this batch, but if it can be saved...
That was me. It doesn't take a lot of pressure. Just vent the keg and bubble the CO2 slowly. Honestly, it's been awhile since I tried it, but I remember it seemed like a lot of CO2. There are some other threads on here you can search for, but there wasn't a ton of info on it when I did it. Sorry I can't be too specific. Start with the gas barely flowing for 10-15 minutes, taste, and repeat. I know it took me a couple of sessions to get there.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Think of it this way:

The half-life of DMS in a boil is 40 minutes...every 40 minutes of a boil reduces DMS or its precursor by 50%. So a two hour boil will remove 90% of DMS in your beer...a 90 minute boil removes 80%. So there is twice as much DMS in a 90 minute boil as a 120. Seriously, just do a longer and more vigorous boil and you will be in the clear.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
carter840
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Think of it this way:

The half-life of DMS in a boil is 40 minutes...every 40 minutes of a boil reduces DMS or its precursor by 50%. So a two hour boil will remove 90% of DMS in your beer...a 90 minute boil removes 80%. So there is twice as much DMS in a 90 minute boil as a 120. Seriously, just do a longer and more vigorous boil and you will be in the clear.
That's fine for the future batches, but right now I have like 4 gallons left of a beer that I have babied and temp controlled for 10 weeks. I was hoping to drink and enjoy it.

I will try to bubble it this weekend and see what happens. In the future all my pilsners will have 2 hour boils.

Also I already do have a propane burner, but i brew in a small apartment in a city. So I can't use it for most of my brews. Looking to get into an electric heating element in the future.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
whrswoldo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
That's fine for the future batches, but right now I have like 4 gallons left of a beer that I have babied and temp controlled for 10 weeks. I was hoping to drink and enjoy it.

I will try to bubble it this weekend and see what happens. In the future all my pilsners will have 2 hour boils.

Also I already do have a propane burner, but i brew in a small apartment in a city. So I can't use it for most of my brews. Looking to get into an electric heating element in the future.
I brewed a Czech Pilsner and had the same problem. At the time I was brewing stove-top on an electric stove as well. I ended up chunking the batch

For subsequent batches I found that wrapping the kettle in insulation and placing the kettle over two burners helped immensely with getting a decent boil. Brewing smaller batches, doing partial-boils, or using a heat stick will also help.

Quick Reply